Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Bunion Surgery recovery

6 watchers
4 Jan
10:40am, 4 Jan 2020
2158 posts
Tomsmum
After years of pain I am finally getting the bunion on my left foot surgically sorted and the hammer toes next to it straightened. Surgery will probably be on the 27th January. The consultant was less than forthcoming about recovery apart from no driving for 6 weeks. I really need to know when I will be able to get back to work - I am presuming 2-3 weeks but will I be on crutches then? I have no idea and no one to ask the questions of until the day!

Anyone got any expereince?

Thanks
4 Jan
11:04am, 4 Jan 2020
10983 posts
Ness
I think Mrs Jigs had a bunion op a few years ago. My memory might be wrong about that though. I don’t know anything about it but hope you make a rapid recovery.
4 Jan
11:32am, 4 Jan 2020
42532 posts
alpenrose
Yes, Mrs Jigs. I'm always interested in these discussions as I have bunions, although at the moment they are not restrictive for me.
4 Jan
4:44pm, 4 Jan 2020
334 posts
Nickid
I had my right foot done about 10 years ago (and will need the left in the next couple of years.)
After the first 2 weeks when I was advised to do absolutely nothing I was pretty mobile. We went to France on holiday etc. Fortunately it was the school holidays so no impact on work.
Mine was in plaster for 8 weeks although I think it’s more typically 6. Once the plaster was off it was quite a speedy recovery. I think 2 weeks crutches, then a stick for a couple of weeks. At the time I was a nursery teacher so on my feet all day so had to elevate the foot in the evenings for a while. I’m so very glad I had it done and wish you a speedy recovery
4 Jan
6:53pm, 4 Jan 2020
2159 posts
Tomsmum
Thank you thats really helpful Nickid
4 Jan
6:55pm, 4 Jan 2020
15566 posts
Sharkie
I'm sure Mrs Jigs will add advice. She recovered well from surgery and is back to training and running some of the classiest marathons on Fetch.
4 Jan
11:20pm, 4 Jan 2020
2169 posts
Fitz
Watching with interest. Mrs Fitz has a bunion that she has been putting off getting sorted for fears over the recovery time just to be independently mobile, never mind feats of athleticism or endurance...
4 Jan
11:44pm, 4 Jan 2020
29447 posts
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
I blogged post bilateral bunionectomy, several blogs actually, hopefully the link below will take you too them. Good luck with the surgery, hope it goes well.

fetcheveryone.com/blog/2187/2014/7
WA
5 Jan
12:15am, 5 Jan 2020
6446 posts
WA
I had my left one done about 3 years ago. Apart from not being able to drive for about 8 weeks, it was fine. Good recovery as far as walking and running goes, and all the niggles I used to get in my left leg due to being a bit unbalanced have resolved. I remember the actual surgery as being a bit crunchy- I opted for local anasthetic and could hear the grinding of the bone etc.

I got back to work after 4 weeks, but as my job involves a lot of driving I had to negotiate with my employer about suitable office based tasks I could do instead of patient contact.
Best wishes for the surgery- I don't think you'll regret it
5 Jan
7:50am, 5 Jan 2020
2160 posts
Tomsmum
Thanks

WA i is usually do quite a bit of driving too but I can get most of the patients to come to me, otherwise it will have to be phone or video calling!

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Tomsmum
After years of pain I am finally getting the bunion on my left foot surgically sorted and the hammer...