Bunion advice please

10 watchers
Jun 2021
4:56pm, 9 Jun 2021
3,956 posts
  •  
Curly45
GG I have a non running related bunion as I have flat feet (apparently). I've had it years. It does hurt sometimes.

I wear mens shoes, solves 90% of my problems. Much wider toe box. I also go up a size. Barefoot shoes shouldn't cause any problems. Although you will likely get recommended support shoes by any orthopod. I did tons of miles in barefoot types. Altra are good and wide. Vanish was my shoe of choice for a while.

I also get problems with the nerves in the toe so I use a toe separator at night and toe massage to help with that. I roll my feet when I run so it's probably only tangentially related to my bunion.

Hopefully some of that is helpful?
Jun 2021
5:07pm, 9 Jun 2021
14,866 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Thanks Curly I have a couple of pairs of mens shoes the merrells and some vivos for walking. The ones I love best are saguaro from Amazon they're so comfortable but I got a bit of a knee pain running in them so I stopped. Maybe it was unrelated I'll try again after the race.

I have correct toes and other toe separators, one has a pad over the bunion which is great but too much to wear for running. I could have done with this a few months ago so I could have sorted my shoes out before the race - 2 weeks is a bit close.

It was all ok until my calf caused a stress reaction in my left foot so I need the cushioning for now until I know its fully repaired, my vibrams are the best shoes I can have but I don't dare wear them for 62miles.

thank you it was helpful. I'm doing lots of foot exercises from Older Yet Faster book
Jun 2021
5:14pm, 9 Jun 2021
3,957 posts
  •  
Curly45
I do think there is some relationship between the bunion and calves as your foot should be absorbing impact but I have suspicions that the bunion gets in the way of that so achilles etc has to work harder.

I had a friend who is a OT and a runner look at my form a few years ago and although I thought it was good he made loads of suggestions of exercises that made it a lot better. Standing on one foot balancing sort of stuff.

Good luck with the race, that's a looooong old way. 😎
Jun 2021
5:24pm, 9 Jun 2021
14,869 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Oh yes I do a lot of single leg work even more with this left foot issue. I think the bunion (right foot) has been acting up causing me to sub-consciously run different bringing in stain to my calf. I had zero pain just pins & needles in my toes.

Physio said calf tightness tracked to my foot but as my foot is so strong from my running and strengthening it had absorbed the impact until that point. As I jumped on it as soon as it showed itself he believes with the additional work I’ve done it’s now ok but I’m scared to run that far in vibrams hence the need shoe dilemma.
Jun 2021
5:24pm, 9 Jun 2021
14,870 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I looked at altra but their soles are so thick now I couldn’t manage it I like to feel the ground.
MH
Jun 2021
5:32pm, 9 Jun 2021
849 posts
  •  
MH
I posted on this thread way back in 2019! running going well in fairly minimal inov8 shoes at that time - cut to the end of 2019 and quite a lot of foot pain - 2nd toe OA suspected. Start of 2020 brings in a medial meniscal tear on the same side. Lockdown, so had a bit of a wait - Hokas with modified off the shelf orthotics just to be able to walk in the meantime (talk about one extreme to the other) and continued the rehab and strength training. During 1st lockdown foot symptoms increased and Pod was pretty convinced it was morton's neuroma, probably with 2nd toe OA as well and his further modifications really helped, so fairly conclusive.
I am now in posession of full custom orthotics that I use in a variety of Hokas!
Still have issues finding the right ones that won't cut across or rub the bunions though....
I wonder whether running in minimal shoes with bunions precipitated the neuroma or whether it would have arrived anyway, abeit a bit later
Jun 2021
6:15pm, 9 Jun 2021
3,253 posts
  •  
jacdaw
For road running Altra Kayentas are great GG; thin soles, minimal, comfortable with my bunion if I relace them. I'm onto my second pair. Think you can still get them.
Jun 2021
6:17pm, 9 Jun 2021
14,872 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Thanks jacdaw I’ll look them out.

That’s awful MH hope you get some relief I have hokas and despise them. But then if it was that or no running I’d put up I’m sure. Good luck. Who’d have a bunion eh?
MH
Jun 2021
6:20pm, 9 Jun 2021
851 posts
  •  
MH
...yes, I didn't think it would be me either...
Jul 2021
10:47pm, 20 Jul 2021
15,229 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Today I went to see a consultant about potential surgery. OMG all my fears were squashed he was lovely

I thought I’d get grief for a) dissing podiatrists and b) running in barefoot/minimalist shoes.

But quite the opposite he said use of orthotics has a fine line and many podiatrists don’t realise this and he can understand why people follow the barefoot movement but also that doesn’t come without issues - cushioning being it. But he said it hadnt caused the bunion that was a foot issue.

I had an X-ray and go back next Tuesday.

He said best surgery for me will be scafe & akin it works by retaining the mobility in the toe joint and ideal for someone active like me …..

So trying not to get my hopes up but a lot more positive than I thought it would be at this stage!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I definitely have a bunion on my left foot. I have known this for about four or five years but igno...