Brooks Trainers

10 watchers
Oct 2018
10:30pm, 18 Oct 2018
4,216 posts
  •  
Debstir
DavidAP, how did thenfit of the 16s compare to that of the 15s? I had to go up half a size from the 12s to the 14s (missed out the 13s) but the 14s and 15s seem similar in size.
Apr 2020
2:41pm, 24 Apr 2020
32,602 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one ... I am looking for advice about my Brooks Cascadia shoes. I use them for what I would call intermediate off road, in other words when road shoes don't have enough grip but I don't want the full studdiness/grip of inov8s. Typically, forest trails, golf courses, muddy lanes etc.

First, am I right in assuming that is what they are designed for?

Secondly, my pair is four years old with about 400 miles on the clock. I reaslised last week, when about to put them on, that there is a two-inch split all along the outer side of one shoe just above the sole. Does this mean I have been using them on terrain that they are not designed to cope with?

If anyone has experience/views of these, please share! Thank you.

Apr 2020
6:13pm, 24 Apr 2020
2,199 posts
  •  
Fitz
Can't help you on the split Synge, but I remain a devotee of Brooks' running shoes.

I think they must have heard the noises about model confusion, there's now a handy guide on their site.
brooksrunning.com

It tells me I'm still an Adrenaline man, but I can't help noticing that most of my PBs came in Glycerin shoes.
Nov 2020
11:53pm, 10 Nov 2020
1,671 posts
  •  
Grast_girl
Resurrecting this as I'm not able to find a good replacement for the Brooks Vapors that I've used for years. I've tried the GTS in the past and not got on with them, so I think maybe the Ravenna? Thoughts?
Nov 2020
8:58am, 11 Nov 2020
37,209 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
My "go to" shoe is the Adrenaline GTS, so I must be slightly different from you. I need at least medium support and I like to have some cushioning.

I got on fine with the Vapors (which as far as I understand it are slightly less supportive than the Adrenaline), but found the Ravennas much too lightweight/unsupportive. I wore them to race 5k, but didn't feel confident in them running longer distances.
Nov 2020
9:07am, 11 Nov 2020
2,002 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
Brooks tend to suit a wider fit and I have really liked the Cascadia for light trails or slippy winter roads (country boy). My go to shoe is the Ghost. Interesting to see people's views that they don't like them, I love mine even over the Levitate. I was Asics for years but they got narrow and hard so I switched about 5 years ago. The Adrenaline felt a bit hard to me in the last pair I tried but I think they fixed that and is a solid shoe
Nov 2020
9:09am, 11 Nov 2020
2,004 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
PS reading back the thread, I LOL'd at HappyG 'only' getting 500 miles from his Cascadia. I have NEVER got 500 miles from a trainer!! (I am resisting - hard - a lazy cultural reference HG ;-) )
Nov 2020
9:15am, 11 Nov 2020
12,628 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm now a long term Ravenna user - they seriously never wear out (visually) though I do tend to replace them after about 600 miles (and the cultural trope doesn't apply to me OTG!). Looking back at my logs I've now had 10 pairs or them, with mileage up to 760 miles on one pair. I feel bad throwing them out, and perhaps I could just keep on going with them.

I don't have a good "feel" for trainers, so alongside the Ravennas I've got Nike Zoomfly and Adidas Adizero to mix things up for tempo / races etc, but I was advised towards the Ravennas on the one time I've done the gait analysis and they've been my safe place for shoes ever since, from the model 6 through to 10s that I'm in now.
Nov 2020
10:08am, 11 Nov 2020
2,009 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
I tend to heel strike in the back right corner and that definitely does wear down. Given that it is the only thing I spend money on since the decline of 'physical' music (things you can hold in your hand rather than online), I tend to replace them cautiously at the first sign of any injury so probably at least 10% 'early'.
Nov 2020
11:40am, 11 Nov 2020
12,635 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm the same OTG, but these just last and last in a way which I could never achieve with the Asics that I used to run in. When I first got them I was a little bit sceptical as they were about £40 more than I'd got used to spending, but now I know they last a lot longer I don't begrudge spending a little more.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hills of Death (HOD)
For years I've run with Nike (Lunar Tempo/Glide/Racers) do like them been hearing about Brooks ...