Brooks Snowdonia Marathon Eryri 2015

1 lurker | 12 watchers
Oct 2015
9:50am, 22 Oct 2015
977 posts
  •  
stuart little
It's not that bad legend, long climb at start, long downhill to bedgellert, rolling to waunfaur, sting in the tail out of waunfaur, downhill to finish ;)
Oct 2015
10:11am, 22 Oct 2015
33 posts
  •  
Rwster
Agree with sl - looks worse than it actually is! The Pass is quite a long, but steady climb - only one steepish bit near the top (current forecast would suggest favourable tail wind). You've then got a long rest bite, with the road descent to Pen-y-Gwryd. The course then goes off road - down along the old Nantgwyant track - some quite loose stones on this section and could be trickier if wet! Back onto the narrow road, there is a short sharp climb taking you back onto the main road (at about 8.5 miles). Along the valley floor there is a net downhill to Beddgelert (halfway) - always a great crowd there, just before the 2 mile drag out of Beddgelert - catches quite a few runners out and seems to go and on (though not particularly steep!). From the top of the drag, there is a net downhill section for the next 6.5 miles before the start of the Waunfawr climb (just before 22 miles marker). To be honest the climb (approx. 800ft in 3 miles) is a struggle - many runners walk sections of the climb (even top 10 runners!) and it can be quicker/more comfortable to adopt a "run"/walk strategy. Towards the top, the road turns, to a track and the first bit of the downhill section is offroad (mainly grass) - also known as the Bon Jovi section (slippery when wet!!), which is likely to be tricky on Saturday given the forecast
Oct 2015
10:46am, 22 Oct 2015
512 posts
  •  
Shred Betty
Thirded! Rwster has summed up the route pretty well - it's not as bad as you think it'll be! (If you looked at the profile I've seen it's very squashed and makes the climbs look ridiculously steep, which they aren't!) On the last downhill off road section look for a good line - you often see people gingerly picking their way down a rocky section of track when there's a much easier strip of grass to the side!
Oct 2015
3:45pm, 22 Oct 2015
16,148 posts
  •  
flanker
+1'ed :) Other than Waunfaur it's not too bad. I'm considering sticking a pair of talons in my pockets for the last descent :-) Or given the state of some of the tarmac last year, maybe I'll just wear them for it all.
Oct 2015
11:03pm, 25 Oct 2015
390 posts
  •  
Dave D
Watching TV highlights (channel s4c) now, looks beautiful and brutal. One day maybe
Oct 2015
10:00am, 26 Oct 2015
16,150 posts
  •  
flanker
They've been on already? Hopefully they're available on catch-up.

It's quite possibly the best road marathon in the UK.
Oct 2015
1:41pm, 26 Oct 2015
1,637 posts
  •  
monsenb1
s4c.cymru
Oct 2015
1:43pm, 26 Oct 2015
1,638 posts
  •  
monsenb1
that's in welsh..
Oct 2015
7:37pm, 26 Oct 2015
513 posts
  •  
Shred Betty
There were subtitles when it was on TV - I think they're usually available on the catch up too, if you can figure out how to get them on!

3rd coaster for me - not my quickest, not my slowest, definitely the hardest! The Bon Jovi section was "interesting" in road shoes, lost at least one toenail on that bit! The autumn colours seemed even more stunning this year, which almost made up for the rain! :)
Oct 2015
7:57pm, 26 Oct 2015
357 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
Just watched it with subtitles. I had a good race with a 3:50. Must sort my head out for the last climb the next time I do this event.

About This Thread

Maintained by -x-x-
Entries open New Years Day at 00:01