Broken ankle - how long to start walking / running

3 watchers
Jan 2019
3:07am, 20 Jan 2019
247 posts
  •  
Brandon
Hi, I broke my ankle 2nd January (clean break of the fibula). I've been told that I'll be wearing the moon boot for 5-6 weeks.

Interested to know if people then spend a certain number of weeks walking before jogging, etc.

Also, at what point did you see a physio?

Cheers
Jan 2019
3:08am, 20 Jan 2019
248 posts
  •  
Brandon
PS. I was regularly running approx 25km per week.
Jan 2019
11:29am, 20 Jan 2019
9,969 posts
  •  
Ness
Hi Brandon. I donโ€™t know much about recovery after a broken ankle but I do know the Fetchie known as Thornton Runner broke his ankle.....

In March last year. He might be able to give you some tips about recovery time and physio etc. Heโ€™s back running now. Did parkrun with a group of us at Kingsbury last weekend.

All the best for a speedy recovery.
Jan 2019
11:33am, 20 Jan 2019
24,927 posts
  •  
HellsBells
It's a question for the professionals looking after you really - who've seen your X-rays and know what, if any, ligament damage etc you've done.
They're in a far better place to advise you than a bunch of randoms off the internet
Jan 2019
11:36am, 20 Jan 2019
9,970 posts
  •  
Ness
Thatโ€™s true. Sorry HellsBells is absolutely correct. Should have said that.
Jan 2019
3:01pm, 20 Jan 2019
25,371 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Bad luck on the break!

Re seeing a physio, ask for a referral to an NHS physio so that as soon as the boot comes off they can both advise you on exercises and, if appropriate, get their hands on you ;-) I made a big fuss about being a very active person and needing to get back to it asap, and while I don't know for sure that it made a difference, I did feel that I wasn't fobbed off with the bare minimum and the physio did her darnedest to get me back to where I'd been pre-break.
Jan 2019
3:05pm, 20 Jan 2019
7,838 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Agree with LD- when I broke my 5th metatarsal I saw the NHS physio as soon as I could to help get me active again. Also stressed the point that I was an active person.

My one bit of unprofessional advice is listen to what they say and don't try to do too much too soon as push yourself as it will be worse in the end (talking from experience ๐Ÿ™„)
um
Jan 2019
3:31pm, 20 Jan 2019
738 posts
  •  
um
a) listen to HellsBells
b) be cautious of NHS physios ... I had one a few years ago and he just couldn't comprehend running 10 miles - or wanting to get back to that sort of distance. His idea of running was 'to the end of the corridor'. So try and find one that understands sports. (or see LD on how to 'make a big fuss' AND get the right result)
C) and be more careful next time!
Jan 2019
10:11am, 21 Jan 2019
249 posts
  •  
Brandon
Haha.... thanks all.
As tempted as I am to get up and about, I'm definitely going to take my time and have a sports physio lined up who has years of experience with sports folk ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿƒ
It's just very frustrating. I was really enjoying my running, have events lined up and suddenly nothing.

I also sprained the same ankle quite badly 18 months ago also on the trails, so now wondering whether trails are the future for me. I really like Trail running!!
Oh well, it will heal.

๐Ÿ‘
Jan 2019
5:21pm, 26 Jan 2019
1,987 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Only just spotted this. Would agree - listen to the professionals, but would just comment that once I was told I could run (for me about 4-5months) the first few times it felt really unnatural, and then it gradually returned to the normal feel. I was running parkruns and for about 6 successive weeks I knocked a minute off my time, not due to fitness but due to my foot learning how to run again.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Brandon
Hi, I broke my ankle 2nd January (clean break of the fibula). I've been told that I'll be...