Broken ankle - advice please

1 watcher
Nov 2011
4:49pm, 5 Nov 2011
404 posts
  •  
Jubear
Bit Cheeky but I'm after comment or opinion from any Fetchie medics or ppl with broken ankle experience.
I have a single, stable tib break and multiple fibula breaks - the latter has been pinned - & am in a full leg temporary cast. The permanent cast goes on next week when the staples come out.
The bone will take as long as it takes to heal, I'm old, see, so sort of resigned to a possible 3 months (I'm not resigned, I'm furious actually :( ) but I've noticed that if I shut my eyes I can't tell.which way my foot is pointing.

Does this mean the positional sensor things in my ankle are buggered too? Do they grow back, can they be retrained?
Cheers
Nov 2011
5:11pm, 5 Nov 2011
2,607 posts
  •  
windassisted
Oh no Jubear; that's rubbish :-(

I'm not a medic so can't answer your question, but hope you heal soon
Nov 2011
6:21pm, 5 Nov 2011
10,521 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Hello

Your proprioceptive receptors will have become dysfunctional for a variety of reasons- the fracture, associated muscle damage, the operation-which may have involved opening the joint capsule, and also the cast- which removes a lot of sensation as it fixes the joint and a lot of the sensation you get is from movement.

It will all settle down thigh, don't worry.
Nov 2011
6:49pm, 5 Nov 2011
405 posts
  •  
Jubear
Cheers, JO. Now - d'you do financial & marital advice too?
Nov 2011
7:03pm, 5 Nov 2011
10,525 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Put all your money into German bonds and never go to sleep without clearing the air :)
Nov 2011
7:06pm, 5 Nov 2011
406 posts
  •  
Jubear
:)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jubear
Bit Cheeky but I'm after comment or opinion from any Fetchie medics or ppl with broken ankle experi...