British 10k becomes Festival of Nike

7 watchers
Jul 2012
8:34pm, 8 Jul 2012
320 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
Bag drop? More like leave bag in open pen at side of road to get soaked in rain. My bag was pretty waterproof, but my change of clothes were all mildly moist!

Start - bloody nightmare! The organisers maintain that you can only have penned starts for races that start in parks - but Bupa 10,000m and the Royal Parks both start on roads and manage it. Even if you know you aren't a fast runner you are going to aim to get there early once you know what the start is like, and then you'll get in people's way anyway. I reckon the first mile took the best part of 10 minutes due to the crowds!

Chip timing - am worried that mine hasn't registered after 3km. From the Facebook page this isn't a isolated case.

Finish, another shambles, trying to get that many people through one pedestrian arch of Admiralty Arch was a joke, medals - apparently later finishers didn't get medals or goodie bags because earlier finishers took 2 (or more) and they were pretty poor goodie bags (especially as I am allergic to nuts!) Baggage retrieval was so far from secure - people just wandering in and getting their stuff.

That said, I enjoyed the race (could have done without 'Proud' being an ear worm), despite the pain in my foot (torn ligament 2.5 weeks ago). It is hugely expensive to enter though. I wouldn't have run it this year if I hadn't paid £50 for the privilege!
Jul 2012
8:46pm, 8 Jul 2012
1,396 posts
  •  
spinkle
This race is rubbish. I did the first year of it (back in 1999, I think) and even though I came in at 1:15 they'd run out of medals. I only got one because my sister, who finished 10 mins ahead of me saw they were running short and nabbed 2.

Cannot believe it continues.
Jul 2012
8:50pm, 8 Jul 2012
26,969 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I noticed they don't do Nike runs since they fucked up everyone wants to run the world in 2008 at Wembley possibly worst organised race I've ever done (obviously I've not done Hull Marathon ;-) ) this is there way of getting their feet under the carpet but they should choose their friends carefully I think this is the wrong adversary
Jul 2012
11:03pm, 8 Jul 2012
11 posts
  •  
TrillionBlue
I really enjoyed this race today but that was because of the nice route and the amazing crowd! Other then that there wasn't anything good to say about this race. This is my second Nike race and probable last. I really don't like how they don't congratulate you at the end. It was the same at the Run to the Beat. We were given a bottle of water then had to walk on to where we were handed a medal and told to take off our chips and be on our way. The finish at this race was ridiculous! I don't think Nike did their branding any favour at all today....
Jul 2012
11:08pm, 8 Jul 2012
26,971 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
TB I've done my first ever race Nike Night run great (why not repeat it), three parks good in 2005 then missed 2006 but by the time it got to 2008 it was appauling keeping all the runners in the stadium for 2 hours listening to various music and Andy Goldstein.

The route was streets of Wembley and industrial estate fitting everyone around the Wembley car park for 1k and through the eye of a needle (players tunnel) at the start. As for the marshalls comments like'Your not running hard enough' laughing at others, telling runners you have 3 miles left with 2k to go and so on.
Jul 2012
10:43pm, 9 Jul 2012
323 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
It seems I don't exist :-( I've searched for friends on the results thing, and even done the 'compare 2 runners' thing and seen my friends race against each other, but I am not there :-(

So glad I paid a small fortune to enter this race!
Jul 2012
11:11pm, 9 Jul 2012
2,395 posts
  •  
Siamese Pete
Agree with HOD - the night time Nike run was great as were the 3 other Nike runs I've done. I didn't have the enjoyment of partaking in the Wembly fiasco and for that I shall be for ever greatful, but not as greatful as not having entered any of the British 10k events.
All of the complaints aired above were being coming out years ago - particularly about walkers starting near the front.
Sadly I think this is a race that everyone should consider very carefully about before signing up for.

Hae a look at the BUPA 10000 as an alternative - well organised and (possibly) better route.

It certianly seems as though Nike have jumped on to the wrong bandwagon with this race.

As a final note, I think the shirts with one's own number on are great:)
Jul 2012
11:27pm, 9 Jul 2012
12 posts
  •  
TrillionBlue
Quick question about the Bupa 10000 for 2013. It's on a Monday right? Is that a bank holiday Monday or they just randomly picking a weekday as I don't seem to find any public holiday associated with that date....
Jul 2012
11:33pm, 9 Jul 2012
2,397 posts
  •  
Siamese Pete
Yes TB it's Mon 27th May 2013 - late spring bank holiday during half term.
Jul 2012
11:43pm, 9 Jul 2012
13 posts
  •  
TrillionBlue
Okay great! Was thinking it was going to be a bank holiday but wasn't 100% certain. Think I'll be booking my place for that soon! Thanks!

About This Thread

Maintained by Kendo!
I got my race pack for this today and it appears it's now a big exercise in "LOOK AT MY NIKE BRAND...