Bristol Fetchies - Recommendations needed

2 watchers
Aug 2021
12:26pm, 31 Aug 2021
23,164 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I used to work in Bristol, late '80s. I doubt I'd recognise it these days, although it's good to hear the Arnolfini is still a Thing :)
Aug 2021
12:53pm, 31 Aug 2021
15,064 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
Cheers Mulbs, pizza will really hit the spot today after a frankly unpleasant train journey.

Been spending my time putting flags all over Google Maps, I'm gonna be a busy boy :)

Anywhere good for a decent steak?
Aug 2021
12:58pm, 31 Aug 2021
4,044 posts
  •  
Curly45
I've heard good things about the Ox, but I've not been there so cant say for sure.
.B.
Aug 2021
1:01pm, 31 Aug 2021
43,341 posts
  •  
.B.
We liked Mud Dock cafe above the bike shop on the harbour when we visited. Enjoy!
Aug 2021
1:12pm, 31 Aug 2021
42,341 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
There is a Spitfire Barbecue restaurant on the harbourside - just round from the Lloyds Bank amphitheatre and on the opposite side from the M Shed and the SSGB - which will serve you steak or burgers. It was very good when I last went there around five years ago ...
Aug 2021
1:14pm, 31 Aug 2021
599 posts
  •  
The Mussile
"The cowshed" on whiteladies Rd used to be good for steak but haven't been for a few years. There is also "steak of the art" near Millennium Square but I've never been in there although my wife says its good
Aug 2021
1:17pm, 31 Aug 2021
42,342 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
I'll second the Cowshed recommendation!
Sep 2021
11:50pm, 2 Sep 2021
15,094 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
So my little trip ended today.

Positives:
Friendly cat called Fluffy in Clifton was happy to have a chat with me en route to a big scary bridge.
The suspension bridge is *ace*. But scary af.
As a city, it's full of life, students everywhere doing studenty things. The Copoeira class was a bizarre highlight. But it made me feel a bit old.
SS Great Britain was fascinating, and the staff working there were fab.

Negatives:
My time management is so poor, I missed out on visiting MShed, which was disappointing.
The journey down was an absolute nightmare. An uncontrolled dog between Manc and Birmingham, a long delay, and rail replacement between Bristol Parkway and Temple Meads. And the trains were jam-packed.

Food:
Recommendations were gratefully received. I enjoyed a garlic bread from Left Handed Giant, and a nice beer - but felt a little like a spare part on my own (Covid enhanced the feeling of isolation). On the second night, I ended up at The Ox, which was nice but overpriced. The Cowshed is currently closed, presumably due to Covid. There was quite a lot of places closed up, sad to see.

Overall, I had a great time, tempered by a generally odd feeling due to the Covid hangover. I did 26,000 steps yesterday. Would I return? Not immediately, but would definitely consider it, alongside making sure I could legally use one of the many eScooters that were around.
Sep 2021
9:00pm, 21 Sep 2021
42,654 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
There's a programme about to start - now - on Sky Arts looking at an exhibition about street art in the M Shed.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by JamieKai *chameleon*
I'm off for a solo trip to Bristol tomorrow, and aside from a few activities (see Clifton Suspe...