Brighton Marathon 2021

11 watchers
Aug 2021
6:13pm, 12 Aug 2021
6,878 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I think today is the last chance for your youngsters to sign up for the Mini-Mile races. Mine hasn't given me an answer and I'm not chasing him up any more.

I must say that I am quite pleased that the BM Ride has been cancelled. Is there any more news regarding timings? I presume that it will take longer for the BM10k runners to start which must also affect the marathon.
Aug 2021
8:42am, 13 Aug 2021
6,880 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Grounded Events advised me that, as my membership was deferred to start in 2022, I need to collect my race pack after all. So I need to go to the beach village anyway to drop off my kit bag.
Aug 2021
4:52pm, 17 Aug 2021
6,892 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I had to question this as I was previously told that my membership was now 2021-2031. Thankfully, the organisers have now advised me that my race pack is being posted and that I can access a members area which will have a bag drop. Just relieved that I don't need an extra journey into Brighton.

Grounded Events have also advised that participant instructions are being sent out in the next few days. Hopefully, this will give us an indication on how the start will work and at what time we need to arrive in Preston Park.
JJJ
Aug 2021
9:26am, 24 Aug 2021
162 posts
  •  
JJJ
10k starts at 0830, AFAIK it's a mass start.

Marathon starts from 0930 with waves of about 1000, you'll be given a time to arrive at the park - they don't want everyone in the park all together so wave arrival and departure.
Aug 2021
10:29am, 24 Aug 2021
6,921 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Thanks JJJ. That's good to know. The website gives an arrival time against a colour. I'm waiting for the e-mail/race pack but couldn't work out if it means arrive by or arrive not before the time in question.
JJJ
Aug 2021
6:06pm, 24 Aug 2021
163 posts
  •  
JJJ
I think it's not before that time, White and Red wave are 9am, first start is 9.30, plenty of time to stand around getting cold so no need to be there earlier than necessary.
Aug 2021
8:18pm, 31 Aug 2021
6,954 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Got the participant instructions e-mail for a second time. No changes as far as I can see. Still awaiting for the e-mail to confirm my arrival time in Preston Park.

The only thing I am still trying to work out is how do slower runners get into Preston Park once the race is underway at 9.30 am? Remembering the park lockdown messages from yesteryear and being 'trapped in (or rather outside in this case) a spiral of runners once the race starts.' I'm thinking that pink and green wave runners must be in the park by 9.30 am although they won't be called into the athlete only area until 9.45 am and 10.00 am respectively.
JJJ
Sep 2021
12:03pm, 1 Sep 2021
166 posts
  •  
JJJ
If you're on the east side of the road walking north towards the park, at the bottom end of the park runners leaving start are on your right and those who've done the lap of the park are on your left, you can go up the pavement.

There's a crossing point near the Shell garage - top left corner of the park at about half a mile in. I guess the tail of wave 1 will have gone through and there will be a gap to the front of wave 2. Probably!?
Sep 2021
7:30pm, 1 Sep 2021
6,963 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Usually, I walk in from the Withdean direction but I am thinking about taking the train to Brighton. If I cross the London Road (A23) around the two mile mark by 9.35 am, then I won't obstruct any elite runners and should have a clear walk to the park. Hopefully, my plan won't be foiled by the Minis and Lambrettas should they still be allowed to have their procession ahead of the runners.
JJJ
Sep 2021
10:23pm, 2 Sep 2021
167 posts
  •  
JJJ
Minis and Lambrettas will be at mile 2 about 9.30 then a 10 min gap between them and race lead vehicles.

I was listening to Marathon Talk podcast earlier about London who are also not having bag drop at start this year - the big races all talk to each other so will have jointly decided/been told by councils to make changes like this.

About This Thread

Maintained by JJJ
Scheduled for 12 September 2021 :)