Brighton Marathon 2019

11 watchers
Apr 2019
4:01pm, 11 Apr 2019
51,045 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Hi Surrey Phil
I think theyve tweaked the route again, havent they?
Apr 2019
7:47pm, 11 Apr 2019
2,958 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Hi PH. There seems to be two changes to last year's course.

After we turn left and pass the Brighton Dome (2.5 miles), it looks as if we cross to the far side of Grand Parade instead of a sharp left. This is before we go anti-clockwise around The Level as per usual. I think JJJ has said that there are roadworks in place which is the reason behind this. I'd like to think the extra distance here will come off the climb at 9.5 miles.

St James' Street has been reinstated this year after a one year absence. You wonder whether the retailers have had second thoughts as the reason for last year's change was down to Sunday trading. Maybe it had an adverse effect in that the route didn't pass their outlets in 2018.
Apr 2019
9:47pm, 11 Apr 2019
12,126 posts
  •  
Serendippily
So we will be back to supporting outside Starbucks in st james st and then walking down to opposite sealife
Apr 2019
1:28pm, 12 Apr 2019
2,959 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Which side of St James' Street is that Serendippily? I tend to be on the right-hand side but will gladly switch to say "Hi!" I will probably be there just before 11.00 am.

Well, the countdown is well under way and I'm having lunch at my desk thinking of Sunday. I hope everything is well with you all at this time. Race pack is being collected for me this afternoon and will be travelling down after lunch on Saturday. Staying in Hassocks overnight and getting dropped off at Withdean for the mile walk to the start.

Still no mention of a race starter. Either they are so famous that it's being kept quiet or they simply haven't got anyone. So long as my kit bag doesn't split open on the lorry and I can get to the loo in good time before the start, then I don't really mind!
Apr 2019
1:38pm, 12 Apr 2019
6,363 posts
  •  
kwala
I may be back in my usual spot in Jubilee St assuming it still goes that way. Will defo be at the usual 19 mile Fetchpoint later on with SK 😊
Apr 2019
2:47pm, 12 Apr 2019
12,133 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Yes it’s the RH side Phil I’ll be fetched up :-)
Apr 2019
7:16pm, 12 Apr 2019
2,960 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I'm not superstitious but I don't run marathons well wearing red! I'll be in all blue with a silver race number but I will certainly give you a call as I go by.
Apr 2019
8:29pm, 12 Apr 2019
8,088 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
Hi all. I’ve been keeping a low profile for this as I’ve had a shocking start to the year and feel woefully under-prepared. It’s going to be a slow painful one. I’ll be running with my son in law, Ed (TheGorgeousEd) and will be wearing my Fetch shirt under my race vest. I’m a bit worried that the kit bag won’t be big enough for warm post-run clothes, which could be a problem for people like me who need to get the train back.
Apr 2019
8:48am, 13 Apr 2019
2,961 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Hi Paula. Don't worry - I'm in a very similar situation to you having only done one marathon since last year's race. I've also not run continuously for more than 12 miles in that time having had a long lay off.

I'm certainly not chasing a PB tomorrow and will take a sub 4:50 based on how I got on last year. I'm starting at the front of the pink corral. What corral are you opting for as I may see you at some point?

The temperature at the start will be 6 degrees and will only be 9 degrees at the finish. Spare a thought for the cyclists who start at 7.00 am as it will be just above freezing.
Apr 2019
9:56am, 13 Apr 2019
12,143 posts
  •  
Serendippily
We are staying Jury’s inn near station Paula I’m sure I could stash a bag of stuff for you behind reception and say it’s mine if you’re worried? Hotels are usually pretty good about that

About This Thread

Maintained by Surrey Phil
The tenth Brighton Marathon is almost upon us. Are we looking forward to our 26.2 miles by the sea?