Brighton Marathon 2018

8 watchers
Apr 2018
8:23am, 17 Apr 2018
3,567 posts
  •  
Curly45
For me I thought it was odd that the starts were not synced. We were 800m in before we heard Preston Park start counting down :-O

That meant the gun race for ladies positions was completely unclear. I was in 10-12th before I dropped out (we counted on the switch backs), but the woman I ran with has been given 22nd. She did lose a few places late on, but also took a couple she said. You can only race those in front of you so very unfair to then be further down than expected because the results are done by chip times.

Also not good for the ladies/gents at the front of the red start as they had to keep coming past us (we made space for them of course).
Apr 2018
10:02am, 17 Apr 2018
2,393 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Good news! Yesterday afternoon, I found a video clip of me starting the race. After identifying two people right in front of me, I submitted a screen shot plus these runners' start times and gun-chip time differentials, and e-mailed them to Chiptiming UK. Even though it can take about 48 hours for a reply, I received a chip time from them this morning which will be updated on the race results website later today.

I must confess that I didn't know that the Withdean and Preston Park starts were not synchronised. Unless this is a fool-proof way of ensuring that those towards the rear at Withdean don't get caught up with those in the red corral at Preston Park who try to look flash by getting off to a flyer.
Apr 2018
10:14am, 17 Apr 2018
3,568 posts
  •  
Curly45
Great news Surrey Phil :) Its worrying when that happens isnt it?

I think the starts were supposed to be at the same time but werent for some reason.
Apr 2018
1:31pm, 17 Apr 2018
51,002 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Hi Choccy
G and T runner..if she was in a colured tutu was not me..but I do know her and she got gin all the way round the marathon
Apr 2018
2:11pm, 17 Apr 2018
2,395 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Now my chip time is sorted, I went into my splits and figures and was surprised to find out my positions:
Overall: 7768/19802, Gender (men): 5477/12131, Age category: 1534/3443

Considering that my chip time was a not that impressive 4:51:43, how on earth am I in the top half for each of the above? I have never been placed in the top half for a marathon and yet didn't get the impression that this one was any different.

Is it feasible that several hundreds (if not more) people have had faulty timing chips this weekend that need their times correcting? If so, the official results may take a while in submitting.
Apr 2018
4:01pm, 17 Apr 2018
6,118 posts
  •  
kwala
One of my friends was pondering this on fb - 3:57 finish and just outside the top 15%, which she thinks seems a bit far up the field.
Apr 2018
4:05pm, 17 Apr 2018
6,119 posts
  •  
kwala
There would have to be a lot of faulty chips to push her back to around top 40% which is where she expected to be, which surely would have been reported by now. Isn't it more likely that there is just a much larger proportion of slower runners this year?
Apr 2018
4:32pm, 17 Apr 2018
50 posts
  •  
Choccy
Hi PH

In that case you must have been the lovely lady that caught me unprepared as I was gawping in the opposite direction so my apologies to have been so vague when you stopped to say hello - I was trying to place your face and thought you might be an ex-work colleague and was in panic mode trying to recall you!!
Congratulations on your run, I hope you enjoyed it.
Apr 2018
10:18am, 18 Apr 2018
3,569 posts
  •  
Curly45
It did feel VERY thin at the front end this year (for the 17 miles I ran anyway). Maybe just a different demographic this time? I know London has had some issues with good for age planning i.e. too many runners hence the times are getting harder so maybe those that have qualys decided to all take them this year.

I do think Brighton is very expensive so again that tends to weed out some of the runners who have London qualy times as it is about half the price...
Apr 2018
1:19pm, 18 Apr 2018
2,396 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Instead of just having community partners/sponsors, Brighton desperately needs a main race sponsor in order to keep its costs down and make it attractive to those thinking of running elsewhere.

Regular cuts have been made over the years (too many to mention here) including the loss of top international athletes but at least the less quick runners are assured of a place without having to go through a charity after waiting months to find out.

About This Thread

Maintained by Surrey Phil
The annual spring marathon on the south coast has some minor course adjustments and starting time. P...