Brighton Marathon 2018

8 watchers
JJJ
Apr 2018
1:30pm, 18 Apr 2018
21 posts
  •  
JJJ
I think Start was in the same place as usual - may have been a few metres different but certainly not 100m.

Ovingdean School section was taken out a few years ago, I can't remember why, narrow route or the school not wanting the hassle!

The extra bit up the hill towards Rottingdean was added to make up for the bit taken out in the town centre.

Delay in Preston Park start must have been intentional - presumably to be sure mass and elite didn't meet at the merge point. All was calm on the radios, if it was due to a cock up there would have been panic on the radio!

London's cheaper because they get major sponsors, Brighton is mainly paid for by entry fees. The easy answer is that if you think Brighton's too expensive then don't enter, just enter the much cheaper London....where you may well not get a place!
Apr 2018
9:58pm, 25 Apr 2018
2,406 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
After getting my chip time sorted out last Monday/Tuesday, I've found that it has not corrected everything automatically. I may purchase a photo - however, that's still wrong. Also, my time on runBritain is that of my gun time as well, so my handicap will be incorrect.

Did anyone else have chip problems as the results on Active seem to suggest that this is the case. More unnessary e-mails to write...
Apr 2018
10:02pm, 25 Apr 2018
3,603 posts
  •  
Curly45
Usually you will need to get The Power of 10 to change the result - an email to them can get this done, that SHOULD then feed into RunBritain...

email for Po10: admin@thepowerof10.info

(my chips didnt work at VMLM in 2015)
Apr 2018
10:36pm, 25 Apr 2018
2,407 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Thank you, Curly45. That's really helpful and good to know in case it happens again.

I think this is the second year of using the non-returnable timing chips. I recall last year not getting a 10k split time, so the jury's still out on their reliability.

For every other event I have done, whether the chip is on the bib, ankle or shoe, I have not had any issues.
Apr 2018
7:47am, 26 Apr 2018
3,521 posts
  •  
Magpie Rob
Chip failures are pretty unusual really.

My chip didn't work at Gosport half in 2013 when I set my PB. After contacting the timing company, they said a number of people around my time had not been recorded across the line which they attributed to interference from TV cameras. They were filming a man in a tiger suit trying to break the world record for a half marathon in animal costume. He came in a few seconds behind me because I absolutely wasn't going to let him beat me.
Apr 2018
10:16pm, 26 Apr 2018
2,409 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Speedy response by lunchtime and results adjusted. They did say that for road races, the e-mail should be for admin@runbritainrankings.com.
Apr 2018
10:22pm, 26 Apr 2018
3,610 posts
  •  
Curly45
Ah well there you go Surrey Phil! Well done on getting it fixed.
Apr 2018
6:58pm, 27 Apr 2018
2,411 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Important stuff done, I'm now in liaison with Marathon Photos to fix my time there as I fancy a momento to celebrate my 50th 26.2 miler.
Apr 2018
11:13pm, 30 Apr 2018
2,416 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Finally, my time has been corrected across the board and my finishing position has changed from an initial 7,768 to 9,241 which may suggest that there have been a lot of timing chip discrepancies.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Surrey Phil
The annual spring marathon on the south coast has some minor course adjustments and starting time. P...