Brighton Marathon 2017

19 watchers
Apr 2017
1:02pm, 11 Apr 2017
1,925 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I'm considering the Park & Ride option for the first time next year. On Sunday, I got a lift to Withdean and then walked to Preston Park. All the marshals I passed said good morning and wished me well which was nice. The train situation all weekend was really poor as it has been for a few years now. Coming back by train was bad with the concourse at Brighton Station being overcrowded followed by a charge to get on the first train coming in. My train was nine minutes late and then the driver had the nerve to tell passengers 'to get a move on!'

Only having the bridge to cross the main road didn't work well as the underpass at the Brighton Centre was closed. As a runner, it was irritating to have spectators run out in front of you but considering the bridge being where everyone was being directed, I don't blame them.

Regarding the loos, I thought about queuing from 8.15 am. However, it became clear that the queues were already too long and were insufficient in number. I then decided to wait at the corral entrance and used the loos there. I only waited a matter of minutes to get a free one.

Course congestion wasn't a problem this year despite the increase in numbers as the staggered start works well. Spectator congestion is an issue which will only reduce if it rains on race day.

I've already signed up for next year and hope that all our moans and groans will be heard when we give our feedback in the next week or so.
Apr 2017
1:42pm, 11 Apr 2017
5,452 posts
  •  
Southcoastpete
I saw that statement yesterday, without the apology. So they have bolted on the "sorry" at a later stage.

I did think I was making too much of the water situation, as most people seemed to have enjoyed the experience. But maybe not know.

I got to 14 miles, and one water station was completely deserted. A poor situation, when its us slower runners who need the water , as of course we are out there longer.

I also saw:

Volunteers collecting used cups to re use.
Runners drinking from plastic bottles discarded at the side of the road.

Really disappointing , as I know Brighton Marathon can do better.
Apr 2017
10:13pm, 12 Apr 2017
1,633 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Were you the one smiling and shouting "Fetch" at me SouthCoastPete? There was someone lovely running just behind anyhows. Very glad I ran into Garfield and Kwala was a godsend. Never doing that again! And arrived on holiday with stripey calves I must've forgotten to apply suncream to my legs!
Apr 2017
11:02am, 13 Apr 2017
5,456 posts
  •  
Southcoastpete
Hi Serendippily, yes could well have been me, I was running in a blue top, with a white running cap.

Though the days seems like a bit of blur now. Though that reminds me that we were all singing along to "Parklife" at a mad moment along Church Road :)
Apr 2017
9:13pm, 13 Apr 2017
1,637 posts
  •  
Serendippily
That was you then thanks you were a cheery face at least three times!
Apr 2017
1:21pm, 14 Apr 2017
7,443 posts
  •  
Garfield
Hello Serendippily and thanks again for your company.:)
Apr 2017
2:37pm, 14 Apr 2017
1,640 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Pleasure Garfield it would have been much harder without you :-)
Apr 2017
2:38pm, 14 Apr 2017
7,447 posts
  •  
Garfield
Definitely it would have been. How's your new climate? The sun here has disappeared from view!
Apr 2017
8:43am, 19 Apr 2017
1,930 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Just a thought. My Garmin recorded me as doing 26.4 miles which is no big deal as I wouldn't be following the racing line through the entire race. However, with the additional distance up Lewes Road and the longer u-turn in place at Ovingdean, I was surprised to see the 26 mile marker much further past the pier than expected. Either the race started much closer to the first turn than usual (which I can't recall) or previous editions could be short. Hopefully and probably not!
Apr 2017
8:46am, 19 Apr 2017
1,931 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
...and while I'm here.

I registered for next year at the Expo and got an e-mail confirmation. However, I haven't got the subsequent e-mail in order to pay the remainder of my entry fee. It does say that I should chase this if not received by Friday but I was wondering if others are in the same position.

About This Thread

Maintained by Surrey Phil
New year and new Brighton Marathon thread.