Brighton Marathon 2015

15 watchers
Apr 2015
7:48pm, 13 Apr 2015
6,277 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Tempted - and I was busy hating it at 20 miles!
Apr 2015
7:58pm, 13 Apr 2015
1,704 posts
  •  
Wazelle
I had to wee in the bushes because the queue for the toilets was too long in Preston Park. I was surprised that people say this is their favourite marathon after London. I didn't like the spectators wandering on the course, the half cups of water or the very, very smelly dog leg out to the power station through the grimness and back. What were those smells? Rotten fish and diesel oil? Euchk

Obviously Fetchpoint was the high point and other runners were friendly.

I agree if headphones are banned they shouldn't be allowed.
Apr 2015
9:01pm, 13 Apr 2015
3,429 posts
  •  
Magpie Rob
I queued for 30 mins for a look then gave up, had a wee and hoped for the best. I had to climb over a fence to get in the red pen as I was so late by then that it was full.

I have always enjoyed Brighton but I am concerned about the way the race is developing. The water cups, reduced toilet provision and smaller medal are all obvious cost-cutting moves while the introduction of the 10k and making you go to the expo are about generating extra money.

I didn't notice any real problems with spectators wandering across but Curly told me she heard marshals telling them off for crossing. There have always been a few crossing the field though.

However, I don't agree about the power station. That part of the course has been designed to be as testing as possible. Three miles of industrial grimness, speed bumps, reeking of fish and oil, between 20-23 miles - it is a real mental challenge. Embrace it then wave goodbye as you turn onto the prom with the pier in sight. :-)
Apr 2015
9:24pm, 13 Apr 2015
824 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Interesting theory, Magpie Rob. The organisers nicknamed Basin Road South (20-23 miles) as 'the road to hell' from the outset. I must admit that this was the first year that I had noticed any sort of particularly bad smell in that area.

The water cups trial was OK. A half bottle or pouch will always go in the direction of the kerb or further. The cups did tend to stay in the middle of the road although they are not a dangerous tripping hazard. I stuck to my plan and carried my own bottle of Powerade for the first half of the race and used the cups when I was more inclined to run/walk.

I have always timed my toilet trip to a perfection, allowing 20-30 minutes queuing time. However, thanks to Southern Rail, this meant a quick change upon arrival in the park, bag on the lorry and began queuing around 8.45 am. The queue was very slow and I ended up close to the back of my corral. I was beginning to wonder whether I might end up having to join the race from behind the green corral!

Yes, I thought the medal was a tad smaller too. A different image of Brighton but on a smaller portrait layout instead of the thicker square from the first five races.

The organised marshal-patrolled crossings were well-managed. The problems seemed to be in the suburban areas and along the promenade. I narrowly missed one person with a child's bike/scooter and confess to doing a bit of 'huffing/puffing or shaking head in disapproval' the more it went on.

It was great to meet some Fetchies too. I hope you had a good day in general and that you had a safe journey home.
Apr 2015
9:42pm, 13 Apr 2015
7 posts
  •  
Rorschach
At about 24 miles I saw the guy 20m in front of me hit a 4 (ish) year old as the kid ran out in front of him. The child was OK and not even knocked over, but the runner went down (possibly through avoiding action, my brain wasn't at 100% at this point!). The runner got straight up and did a hard stare, then stretched for cramp while the mum with the kid told the kid off for running across.

You can't really blame the kid, the parent should have kept him under control.

Had this happened to me, it would have added 20 minutes to my time. I was running on fumes at that point and my brain was telling me to walk.
Apr 2015
10:10pm, 13 Apr 2015
2,591 posts
  •  
Tracey G
No pacers this year
Apr 2015
10:20pm, 13 Apr 2015
5,876 posts
  •  
Footpad
Yes Tracey G there were. I ran with the 4Hour pacer for the first half. They were in orange shirts and had a solitary orange balloon.... not terribly obvious I admit!
Apr 2015
10:26pm, 13 Apr 2015
3 posts
  •  
mitets
Yesterday was my 3rd run at Brighton, and my best run there by far. I both really enjoy and hate it. Picking the race number up beforehand is a pain, costs a fortune to park, and I am not interested in anything at the expo (miserable sod I know :-) ). The park and ride was chaos!! The bus got stuck in the queue to get in for about 15 mins. Luckily I was early, so I used the loo before the queue built up, then had plenty of time to sort myself out and get to the start in good time.

The support on most of the route is brilliant :-) The bit round the power station is tough, but it's flat, so would rather do that than go up a hill at the other end of the course (Rottingdean?) (the tri goes up there in September, it is quite steep!) I did notice a few people wandering onto the course between the power station and the finish, but you can't really fence it all both sides, so just have to hope for common sense. The Saturday night I decided I couldn't be bothered with a marathon where I have to stay away from home (did Manchester last year). However, I forget things like that, so may well go back next year. Or back to Manchester. Or just hope I get into London (could happen I suppose).
Apr 2015
10:30pm, 13 Apr 2015
825 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
There may have been fewer paces. I saw the 4:30 group just in front of me at the halfway point but no sign of the 4:45 paces which I have seen in the past. There were a couple of ladies, presumably in orange charity tops, that I almost mistook for paces. I realised my mistake when I could not see any times on their backs and no 'geese' in tow.
Apr 2015
10:34pm, 13 Apr 2015
4,448 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
Saw 3hr and 3:15 pacers, so they were around.

About This Thread

Maintained by Surrey Phil
With just two months to go, how is everyone doing with their preparation for this great event?