Brighton Marathon 2012

63 watchers
Apr 2011
2:42pm, 21 Apr 2011
19,533 posts
  •  
John66
Right I'm in.

Tell me about the hills, the power station and the fetchpoint.
Apr 2011
2:46pm, 21 Apr 2011
8,770 posts
  •  
Pestomum
:-) You too?
Apr 2011
2:47pm, 21 Apr 2011
19,534 posts
  •  
John66
Yup. Once I've gone sub 5 I'll give up but until then ......
Apr 2011
2:58pm, 21 Apr 2011
1,224 posts
  •  
sallykate
Hills are nothing to worry about, all slow and gentle and over by 9 miles or so -- then it's downhill or flat all the way.

Fetchpoint will be ace of course :-)

No comment re the power station, I didn't get that far!!
Apr 2011
3:36pm, 21 Apr 2011
8,445 posts
  •  
Naomi P
The power station is cool as you get to see the giant blue crane monster with a mile marker stuck on it. And there's a DJ. And a water station at the far end.

People moan about it, but honestly, in what marathon anywhere are miles 20 - 23 easy?!

When you get onto the pier at 23 miles, the support all the way in to the finish is awesome :-)
Apr 2011
3:47pm, 21 Apr 2011
4,338 posts
  •  
Nikaim
Despite having a nightmare this year(Which was mainly down to the heat!) I'll be back as it's my fave marathon :)
Apr 2011
3:49pm, 21 Apr 2011
289 posts
  •  
Spleen
I agree with Naomi, the power station is cool. I don't know why people complain about it. The leg on the other side towards Ovingdean is far more boring. Nothing wrong with Ovingdean itself or the support there, it was great, but the road to it is classic out-and-back main road boringness.

The only complaint I do have about the power station section is that there were speakers hooked up to the local radio - as I understand it put there in response to requests for more noise during this section - and as I passed them at around mile 21 the DJ was going "And here come the runners to mile 25!" or SLT. Stupid.
Apr 2011
5:59pm, 21 Apr 2011
776 posts
  •  
adrianb1066
I'm in again :-)

TBH not a fan of the powerstation miles but as said by NaomiP anywhere over 20 miles is tough!
Apr 2011
6:02pm, 21 Apr 2011
3,940 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
The hills aren't really hills, undulating is more how I'd describe it.

The power station is industrial and a bit gruesome, but I kind of got satisfaction from that - getting through it feeling OK, if that makes sense.

Already looking forward to next year's race :-)
Apr 2011
6:20pm, 21 Apr 2011
292 posts
  •  
Spleen
I said to someone after the race that of all the messages you saw at the side of the road, the one that inspired me the most was definitely the one saying "We're building 20 miles of new sewers!" at that plant just outside Ovingdean.

About This Thread

Maintained by John66
**********PUB PUB PUB PUB DETAILS**************

Then we are all going to go to the pub and drink. Fact. This pub, http://www.drinkinbrighton.co.uk/globe. Mrs Winkle is getting a round in for anyone whose name starts with M..and ends in 1
*******FETCHPOINT AT MILE 19 - SALLYKATE ORGANISING IT********

*********PRE-RACE PHOTO PHOTO PHOTO PHOTO DETAILS*********

For anyone wishing to take part in a pre-race Fetch Photo - 08:30 on the north / east side of the pavillion that sits in the middle of the park (by north side we mean to side that looks slightly up, rather than down, hill.

Yes. I am shouting.