4:20pm, 2 Jul 2019
3,053 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I did a hilly 14 miler today, using a Fenix 5 with built in altimeter :

Garmin : 819m
Fetch : 815m
strava : 819m

Never seen it as close as that before, agree that there is often quite a difference
Jul 2019
4:21pm, 2 Jul 2019
369 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
If I go to GC and turn elevation correction on, so ignoring altimeter data, then I get 1200m elev gain for the same run.
Jul 2019
4:21pm, 2 Jul 2019
7,870 posts
  •  
becca7
Not much variation for Comrades
Garmin: 1844m
Strava: 1859m
Fetch: 1834m
Jul 2019
4:28pm, 2 Jul 2019
2,906 posts
  •  
jabberknit
I thought yours was a Suunto, becca7 - have you changed to Garmin?
Jul 2019
4:31pm, 2 Jul 2019
7,972 posts
  •  
larkim
A while back on Fetch I posted this which compares the elevation data recorded by my watch (Vivoactive, no built in altimeter) on two identical runs. The data recorded by the watch on the two occasions was markedly different, but after uploading to Garmin Connect and then downloading the resultant GPX files, you can see that they've applied a new elevation overlay which is identical on both runs, because the route was the same.

fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=59792

I don't know what, if anything, Fetch does to elevation data, as there is no export function (that I know of!) from Fetch to pull out the GPX files that would result from it's interpretation of the elevation data.
Jul 2019
4:33pm, 2 Jul 2019
436 posts
  •  
oi you
It's always worth bearing in mind that the Garmin doesn't actually measure distance at all, horizontal or vertical. It's all calculated after the event, so the result can change depending on measurement frequency and what map info is used to work out the route from the position data that it has recorded.
Jul 2019
4:39pm, 2 Jul 2019
7,973 posts
  •  
larkim
The garmin does measure horizontal distance as it goes (otherwise you wouldn't get pace / distance measurements!), unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean? It doesn't snap the data back to roads etc afterwards either, so the map used for horizontal distances isn't relevant. It simply calculates the distance between point a (recorded by the watch) and point b (recorded by the watch) on a theoretical ellipsoid representing the "roundness" of the world.
Jul 2019
4:42pm, 2 Jul 2019
7,974 posts
  •  
larkim
And of course, then does that X times (often one reading per second, some watches do more, some do fewer). THey also do some error correction / smoothing to the data points to avoid lines which are too zig-zag due to the inherent inaccuracy of each measurement point.
Jul 2019
4:55pm, 2 Jul 2019
3,054 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
oi you, as well as what larkim said above, watches with barometric altimeters do indeed measure altitude gain during the event. You can switch this off in Garmin Connect afterwards and it will re-calculate altitude based on mapping ( as shown above by Sam ) but this will be less accurate.
Caveat : barometric altitude can be a bit inaccurate if there is a large change in air pressure during your run ( at the same point ), ie if a big weather front moves through the area
um
Jul 2019
5:12pm, 2 Jul 2019
1,086 posts
  •  
um
Today's run .... GC 262ft elevation, Fetch 577ft

About This Thread

Maintained by jabberknit
Great summary, and thank you, but I have a question about it.

I live and do most of my running in...