Bright bike light

7 watchers
Aug 2011
7:29am, 27 Aug 2011
51,536 posts
  •  
GregP
Very true, Debstir. I turned the dangly light attached to my courier bag on yesterday morning. 07.45 in August. Did I blink and miss Summer?
Sep 2011
10:59am, 1 Sep 2011
2,900 posts
  •  
Badger
Debstir, charging on those Cateye lights can play up sometimes. Can't find the webpage with a quick google, but somewhere Cateye advise that if the light goes from red to green too quickly for it to have charged properly, disconnect the charger and reconnect it; if that doesn't do the trick, leave the charger connected overnight to trickle charge it, and the battery will end up with a full charge again.
Sep 2011
11:05am, 1 Sep 2011
2,902 posts
  •  
Badger
Found it: knowledgebase.cateye.com
SPR
Sep 2011
11:25am, 1 Sep 2011
15,075 posts
  •  
SPR
I got a clear (but red light) rear LD610 from wiggle for £12.50 wiggle.co.uk

I have the EL520 front, got that fairly cheaply as well, can't remember where from though.
Sep 2011
9:36pm, 8 Sep 2011
3,693 posts
  •  
Debstir
Thanks Badger :)

It eventually managed to charge properly the last time and I've found out the 24 hours battery life is for the flashing mode - I'll get 2 hours(ish) on full beam (which I need). Looks like I'll be charging it quite a lot then ;)

Also bought a Knog Frog set as back up lights, they are fab wee bright things :) wiggle.co.uk
Nov 2017
4:16pm, 18 Nov 2017
1,408 posts
  •  
-Monty-
Hi all. I've just seen these posts but have noticed it's a bit old.

I was going to ak the same question as I'm looking to get a new front light for around £50 - £70.

Does anyone have any update or could recommended anything please? Some of the items on the links that have been posted to other sites have been discontinued.

Thanks!
Nov 2017
4:17pm, 18 Nov 2017
1,409 posts
  •  
-Monty-
I was maybe looking at this....?

fenixtorch.co.uk
Nov 2017
12:18pm, 20 Nov 2017
62,007 posts
  •  
Gobi
I guess it depends what you want from the light

get seen or actually see

tredz.co.uk

Got this for my daughter as it seems quite reasonable but for myself it has to USE products

I have a joystick :¬)
I have a Strada
I have a reflex for off road

I like to see
Nov 2017
12:25pm, 20 Nov 2017
7,611 posts
  •  
simbil
Some other things to think about for a front light - how long do you need it to run for, do you want USB recharging (nice if office commuting), do you want to be able to zoom down unlit roads (needs a powerful light), do you want one that you can easily unclip (handy if your bike will be locked up outside)?

I've got about 10 different front lights and most get used at some time or other over the year :)
Nov 2017
3:24pm, 20 Nov 2017
1,410 posts
  •  
-Monty-
Thanks all.

It's mainly for riding along unlit country roads from about 2 hours not for racing. Sometimes do a bit of off road too.

Interestingly, I've just found out that the light that I'm looking to replace only has 180 lumens which has been fine all these years. So if the new light was about 500 lumens I'm sure that would be plenty but I really do like to see where I'm going so I'll get the brightest that I can afford.

I do like the look of the Cateye ones though.... 🙂

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Debstir
Can anyone recommend a decent, bright sub-£100 front light? I had looked at theCateye HL-EL600 on W...