Brexit is directly impacting me now because....

25 watchers
Mar 2019
3:50pm, 26 Mar 2019
6,687 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Just fine thank you, she supported my decision and would have been horrified if her native country was involved in an EU like organisation superseding national sovereignty.
jda
Mar 2019
4:11pm, 26 Mar 2019
4,105 posts
  •  
jda
Think you've addressed your previous complaint there TMW, if people are not prepared to pool their sovereignty in a single market then they can't expect the benefits.
Mar 2019
3:06pm, 27 Mar 2019
4,926 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
Hi TMW- an interesting reason for voting Brexit. I'm curious- do you believe that by voting for Brexit it would make it better for your partner, or just that it would be worse for those in the EU and therefore everybody is worse off but more on a level footing?

Also- you said you were happy to vote Brexit. Given everything that has transpired are you still as pro-Brexit? with all the chats about voting again etc I'm interested as to whether anybody who initially voted Brexit would have changed their mind (i suspect not- more that those who didn't vote might be more galvanised to do so now)
Mar 2019
3:24pm, 27 Mar 2019
30,904 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I won't answer for TMW, but I've seen numerous posts in my FB from Leave voters who are even more determined to leave given all the carp over last 2 years. They use words like betrayal, political elite, insulting ordinary people, EU shafting us etc.

I am astonished by these reactions, but have to recognise that the pain of Brexit has just entrenched some views, not changed them. If I was being unkind I'd say it's because they (some of those whose views I am referring to, clearly not all) are reacting emotionally and not rationally.

Brexit is increasing my blood pressure (to answer the actual thread question!) :-) G
Mar 2019
3:06pm, 29 Mar 2019
2,025 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
So... I have officially joined HappyG(rrr) as being impacted on the blood pressure front. I also think I am getting RSI following all this nonsense on the internet.
Mar 2019
4:39pm, 29 Mar 2019
12,830 posts
  •  
Jock Itch
I am worrying I wont be able to buy Stella Artois anymore :(
Mar 2019
4:42pm, 29 Mar 2019
5,581 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Shit, tariffs on Belgian cherry beer and stroopwaffels? Now I know why I'm a remainiac...
jda
Aug 2019
7:43pm, 19 Aug 2019
4,993 posts
  •  
jda
Brexit is directly affecting me because I've spent €100 applying for an Estonian identity card as the first step to moving my business to inside the EU in order that I can guarantee continuity in contract negotiations with EU partners for future projects. Once the business moves over, it will be paying tax in Estonia rather than the UK, irrespective of when and whether we ever do leave the EU.

So far, just a minor waste of time and money, which will increase when I have to actually go to London to pick up the card in person, then yet more costs and time when I set up the new business over there, all to reduce the tax base of the UK. I'm sure the brexiters will be delighted by this pointless act of self-harm by the UK govt.
Aug 2019
8:20pm, 19 Aug 2019
2,224 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
Since I last posted.. we have had a big downturn in work since march as our clients are facing pressures themselves. We hope to support our existing staff as long as possible. 3 of those are from the EU and want to stay. I will ask but I am pretty sure they didn't vote in the referendum from previous comments. Shame.
I am now the proud owner of an Irish passport (not exactly an insignificant cost) sadly I can't do the same for my sons.

One of them was facing redundancy due to brexit so jumped ship. However he is now working for a German company in England so that will be a concern. In theory they don't need to be here. Another has been lucky to get a graduate role. Another works somewhere where they are being staffed up to cope with brexit.
Aug 2019
8:20pm, 19 Aug 2019
3,531 posts
  •  
FreshStart
I work for a Government organisation, there's a chance I'm about to be taken offline* to work on Brexit preparations :-(

*While having to continue with my day job.

About This Thread

Maintained by No.12
Apart from the impact of months of feeling down, helpless and bewildered how is Brexit now affecting...