Brexit is directly impacting me now because....

25 watchers
Mar 2019
12:45pm, 26 Mar 2019
5,272 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Major increase in workload for me. I work in farming and we have been trying to get product in from Europe early, but the storage costs in the UK are through the roof, and trying to get drivers in Europe now is very tricky as most are booked up.

Tons more paperwork as well as we are consigning stock left right and centre, which is a manual process and leads to human error.

It's not terrible, not looking at redundancies or anything, but it's a big pain in the ass.
Mar 2019
12:49pm, 26 Mar 2019
240 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
JDA - we were told off-the-record that including UK-based companies / institutions would seriously reduce our chances of H2020 funding... How true it is I can't say, but we decided it wasn't worth the risk and found a Belgian company instead.
Mar 2019
12:50pm, 26 Mar 2019
8,148 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Only way it is effecting me at the moment is traffic wise - being just on the outskirts of Dover and one one of the two major routes to the docks we seem to seeing a lot more haulage traffic our way now due to all the precautions being put in place on the M20.

It has had more of an effect on family members (dad lives on boat in Barcelona, and brother and German wife)
Mar 2019
12:52pm, 26 Mar 2019
241 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
I was planning to drive over for GUCR in May, but have decided that trying to get home via either the tunnel or dover ferry on the bank holiday monday would be a bad idea. Going to fly instead, it's cheaper even factoring in hiring a car when I get to stansted.
Mar 2019
1:10pm, 26 Mar 2019
18,521 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I have no idea whether my (German-born, resident in the UK for over 45 years) mother in law will get settled status, be able to continue to claim her entitled state pension or the widows component of my father in law's army pension, or entitlement to free NHS care, as, like many other wives in Britain of her generation, she has never actually worked in a job.

I have no idea whether I will be able to claim my, admittedly small, French state pension which I've paid into, or if I can, whether it will be uprated by the time I retire.
Mar 2019
1:20pm, 26 Mar 2019
8,454 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I had a major (international) company tell me (off the record) that they couldn't fund the project I proposed to them, because they were withholding a lot of investment at the moment.

At the time, it was a bit of worry because my contract was due to end in June. Fortunately I've now picked up another postdoc position.

Not *my* project though, so it will impact on my career development.
Mar 2019
1:30pm, 26 Mar 2019
6,686 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
My wife who has lived, studied and worked in the UK for 5 years, but is a non EU passport holder, is still discriminated against compared to someone from the EU and she has to pay extra costs such as NHS surcharges, despite also paying for the NHS through taxation.

We still have to pay thousands of pounds towards visa costs, compared to someone from the EU who has to pay nothing for the same status.

The gross inequity between how someone with no connection to the UK but an EU passport is treated and how someone with a strong connection to the UK but no EU passport is treated is why I was happy to vote for Brexit
Mar 2019
1:33pm, 26 Mar 2019
4,335 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Not getting in a tizzy about it, but I'm a bit worried about tangling with bureacracy when I travel to South of France and back via Dublin in April/May, particularly as I've only got 1hr 20 mins between flights at Heathrow (same airline/same terminal...worst case scenario there are other flights later that day...)
I also think it's part of the reason why we've had so little interest from anyone wanting to buy our flat. People are waiting to see what happens.
Small fry concerns and I'm sure there will be bigger impacts along the road.
Mar 2019
2:27pm, 26 Mar 2019
2,001 posts
  •  
TomahawkMike
I must have missed this (from jda):

"The one thing in this whole shitstorm you can guarantee for certain is that nothing will happen at 11pm on the 29th! It's the 11th April now..."

I had thought the April date was "jump off the cliff", ie leave with no deal, but only if we hadnt agreed on a a deal by the 29th March. And that the June date was in place if a deal was agreed by 29th March. Hence I have been living under an illusion that ERG/DUP would capitulate on 29th March at the last moment to avoid the risk of there being no brexit or a softer brexit.

I stand corrected if I had that wrong.. - I would say though the chances of no brexit at all seem very low given the tendency from most MPs to favour a brexit (of some sort).
jda
Mar 2019
3:44pm, 26 Mar 2019
4,104 posts
  •  
jda
June date was never a thing, that was May's request but the EU ignored it and decided on 22(?) May instead. We either leave then, if the WA is agreed this week, or else the 11th April, but this latter date allows for a range of options up to that point, including revocation or the agreement of a further extension under various possibilities (eg WA + confirmatory ref, GE) all of which would probably also require EU elections.

LOLs at the idea that someone with a foreign wife voted leave. Takes all sorts I suppose. How's that working out for you and her TMW?

About This Thread

Maintained by No.12
Apart from the impact of months of feeling down, helpless and bewildered how is Brexit now affecting...