Breathing issue - is it just the cold weather or any ideas anyone?

2 watchers
Feb 2013
10:19pm, 12 Feb 2013
6,253 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Way back when I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma but full tests when it didn't improve with inhaler turned out I didn't have asthma. I don't have a high lung capacity though (?)

Thanks Sally I'll look at those :)
Feb 2013
10:29pm, 12 Feb 2013
2,740 posts
  •  
Duchess
I *have* got exercise induced asthma and cold air does seem to exasperate my throat far more than more temperate air (I need a blue inhaler for any outside winter exercise but not for treadmill, as I discovered before Christmas). I think the cold air naturally induces your windpipe to tighten up; also if you have any kind of cold of nasal congestion, you'll be breathing through your mouth a little more so more cold air will be finding its way in.

Buff over the mouth is good (although I can find it a little suffocating) but I'd also recommend a high necked top. I have a mountain base layer that zips up almost to my jaw line and sits snugly around my neck to stop any coldness getting to my chest. I then wear a buff loosely round my throat to add a little more insulation.
Feb 2013
10:34pm, 12 Feb 2013
5,779 posts
  •  
Binks
I feel the same in the cold, when i start out I have a sickly feeling and feel like i can not extract enough oxygen from the air.

I am slightly asthmatic and have a famility history of it. I usually just write off any speed and suffer the first few miles.

Here is a post from Mimi Anderson on exercise induced asthma

marvellousmimi.com
Feb 2013
6:53pm, 13 Feb 2013
902 posts
  •  
icklevee
Slightly related......loosely to above posts.......need advice....(& have exercise induced asthma too)

Qu. For docs/nurses:

I have had chest lurgy with nasty cough, and still coughing nasties up. Thought it was going. But throat swollen on one side late today after getting up after a load of nights. I haven't trained for 7 days now since getting said lurgy. When can I start training again? Want to get on turbo just to get legs moving & get rid of muck off chest. Am I ok to do this if I don't push hard? Or am I risking damage?
Feb 2013
6:57pm, 13 Feb 2013
2,421 posts
  •  
Garfield
Sorry I can't offer any advice, icklevee.

My lungs hate the cold weather too...but only in the last couple of years. I didn't have this problem in 2008 when I was training for my first half marathon. Old age in my case? Grrrr...
Feb 2013
8:46pm, 13 Feb 2013
903 posts
  •  
icklevee
Thanks anyway Garfield. Decided to give it miss tonight. Hopefully another good nights sleep should help.
Feb 2013
9:06pm, 13 Feb 2013
6,258 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I think the general rule is if its on your chest don't run. Sure someone with proper knowledge will come come along.

Now I've just walked back for tea at the local & OH heard how my breathing sounds. But I have been coughing & snuffling today so maybe there is a lurgy lurking. Here's hoping it can wait til Sunday night to come out as we're off for a weekend away & I really want to make the most of the spa!!
Feb 2013
9:13pm, 13 Feb 2013
15,044 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
There are no hard and fast rules, but if you are coughing stuff up then I would advise against running. The chances of you doing severe harm are low, but not zero, and you aren't likely to have an enjoyable run if you are struggling to breathe anyway.
I would rest, recover properly and come back when you are properly ready.
If you really want to try then the turbo sounds better than running, and make sure you take it very easy.
Feb 2013
9:20pm, 13 Feb 2013
502 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
GG all you had written relates to me at the moment!! I had chest infection and cold at start of the year and couln't get my breathing right. Last week I was sleeping at every chance I got, did a slowish parkrun on sat knowing I wasn't getting my breathing right. Today I have woken with the mother of all colds again, so I think mine has never really went away. I am by no means a distance runner but am feeling frustrated with it, I think patience will have to be doctors orders....
Feb 2013
9:56pm, 13 Feb 2013
792 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
I've found that the cold weather affects my running. Although I wouldn't exactly describe it as out of breath, my breathing becomes more laboured, my heart rate is slightly higher than usual, and my pace is a little slower. At first I wondered if there was something wrong with me, but having found that this only happens when it's cold, I've put it down to the weather. However, I found these two articles that might be of interest.

pponline.co.uk

examiner.com - Love the "manhood" bit. Guys, take note ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by geordiegirl
I'm really struging at the moment with breathing when I run.

My breathing sounds like I'm eith...