Breast Reduction

3 watchers
Jul 2012
12:18am, 29 Jul 2012
7 posts
  •  
GarageGirl
Just wondered if any Fetchies had experience of undergoing a breast reduction op ? I am booked for surgery in October. How long is the recovery before you can run again? I have started cycling in preparation for changing my activities until I heal. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Looking forward to having fabulous firm norks!
Aug 2012
2:30pm, 2 Aug 2012
1,718 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
'fabulous firm norks' excellent :) I have no personal experience and the only person I know who's had it done isn't a runner. But I wanted to say that, in her opinion, it was the best thing she ever did and has never looked back. Good luck :)
Aug 2012
2:33pm, 2 Aug 2012
5,456 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I'm in same situation as SusiesueH - my cousin had it done & says its the best thing she's ever done, another cousin is waiting & hoping to be allowed it on NHS. they got my share.

Hope it goes well and you get some runners with experience along soon
Aug 2012
3:43pm, 2 Aug 2012
4,847 posts
  •  
RichHL
Have a (reduced) good luck bump.
Aug 2012
3:46pm, 2 Aug 2012
1,119 posts
  •  
AdminLiz
I had a reduction back in 2006, before I started running...as others have said...best thing I ever did!
Aug 2012
4:09pm, 2 Aug 2012
21,189 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I have never had anyone come back after being referred for a breast reduction and say, "I wish I hadn't had that done."
Aug 2012
4:38pm, 4 Aug 2012
162 posts
  •  
Hellybob
I had one done on the NHS about 13 years ago. Certainly the best thing I ever did.
Aug 2012
12:05am, 8 Aug 2012
8 posts
  •  
TeacherGirl
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's taken 20 years to get to this stage, and I am self-funding. Will report back after the op!
Aug 2012
11:39am, 25 Aug 2012
11 posts
  •  
Schmunkee
I had a breast reduction in 2001 and, as others have said, it was the best thing I could have done.

I went back to cyling after a week or two, but it was the wrong thing to do as the wounds got infected and a year later I had to have 'scar revision' surgery (basically they cut out the scar and re-stitched it). Therefore I would suggest doing no exercise until the scars are fully healed.

It will take approx 6-8 weeks for all bruising and swelling to disappear and for your 'true' size to become apparent. It will only be at this stage that you will know what size sports bra to buy

Good luck for the op. Hope it all goes well and you can join the group of tohers who have never regretted it :)
Aug 2012
2:11pm, 25 Aug 2012
96 posts
  •  
Ian121
my wife (non running) had it done 15 years ago, in both of our opinions it was he best thing she has ever done. 34hh now 34dd

About This Thread

Maintained by Tuppence
Just wondered if any Fetchies had experience of undergoing a breast reduction op ? I am booked for ...