Bread machine recipes?

8 watchers
Jun 2021
9:01am, 13 Jun 2021
1,153 posts
  •  
Muttley
A half white and half spelt on the 2-hour cycle came out well just now. A little dense but I expected that anyway.
Jun 2021
9:22am, 13 Jun 2021
5,200 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
Nice work Muttley :)

My first attempt on the "sourdough" program had a collapse of epic proportions - will try some of the troubleshooting ideas in the manual (at least it raised at one point)
Dec 2021
4:24pm, 20 Dec 2021
1,284 posts
  •  
Muttley
Boing ...

After some experimentation with my ultracheapo Argos breadie, I am getting excellent results now. 200ml of water to 300ml of flour produces a well-risen loaf of about 500g.

I noticed that overnight loaves were rising better, then I remembered that Mother of Muttley's Panasonic sits still for about an hour after you press go, apparently to let the ingredients' temperatures even out. So I use the timer to have my machine do likewise, and hey presto -- immediate improvement. Well happy!
Dec 2021
4:24pm, 20 Dec 2021
1,285 posts
  •  
Muttley
300g of flour, doh.
Dec 2021
11:48am, 21 Dec 2021
2,964 posts
  •  
Oranj
That's a good tip.

I had a loaf come out rather well the other day that'd been on a timer. I hadn't thought that might be why though.
Jun 2023
9:11am, 10 Jun 2023
2,486 posts
  •  
Muttley
Boing ...

I was getting a poor rise with wholemeal loaves, using 300g of flour in ratio 50/50 white and wholemeal, and 200 ml of water as per the recipe. Plus the usual tsp of yeast and salt and tbsp of sugar, olive oil, and milk powder. And a squirt of lemon juice.

But by adding an egg, included in the fluid ration and increasing it to about 220 ml I'm now getting a much better and well-risen wholemeal loaf, even with 2/3 of the flour being wholemeal. Pleased with that.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Muttley
So I bought the cheapie Cookworks breadmaker from Argos. My understanding is that these machines are...