Bread machine recipes?

8 watchers
Jun 2021
2:14pm, 6 Jun 2021
22,579 posts
  •  
Dvorak
(Whilst checking for a link, I came across some examples of speculative pricing on Amazon: who on earth would pay 5x for a bread mix?? Must be some idiots - I suppose you might manage a nice small business flagrantly overcharging amazon.co.uk )
Jun 2021
2:55pm, 6 Jun 2021
14,678 posts
  •  
larkim
Whilst you definitely don't need to have a breadmaker to make bread, if you can show me a hand-baking method that works whilst I'm asleep or while I'm not in the house I'd be delighted to hear it! They have their place and with a bit of tweaking and experimenting produce perfectly tasty bread without me needing to go out to the shops and with a little more control over what goes into them.

The shapes / sizes that come out aren't as good as I'd like, and the blade hole in the bottom is a bit annoying some times, but they are quite nice gadgets to have around the house and ours gets used more than 2x a week to supplement the shop bought bread for the mountain of packed lunches that a busy household of working parents and school aged kids gets through!
Jun 2021
5:09pm, 6 Jun 2021
704 posts
  •  
faithfulred
You're right that a bread maker does make acceptable bread - but hand baking tastes better (and I do have a bread maker at home).

Plus, I don't get why you need all these weird ingredients for a bread maker - for bread you need flour, water, yeast and salt, and that's it - what's all the extra stuff for?

And it really isn't that difficult to make. It's 20-30 minutes effort, then rest for an hour, then 15 minutes shaping, then prove for an hour or so, then stick it in the oven. It's a lot less effort than making a dish from scratch in many cases.

Plus, I get lots of brownie points from the kids for making home-made pizza (which I'm about to go and do now 🙂)
Jun 2021
6:33pm, 6 Jun 2021
1,138 posts
  •  
Muttley
I have nearly finished the current housebrick (it's not really a brick, just a bit denser than I would like). I shall try the recipes, thank you! They're both a bit bigger than ideal for a one-person household but I guess I can freeze half a loaf.
Jun 2021
8:04pm, 6 Jun 2021
1,671 posts
  •  
Mushroom
We inherited one and we use it 2 or 3 times a week.

The wholemeal only loaves can be dense. Like others have said, we find that mixing with some white flour helps it to rise better and be less heavy going. Mind, even the denser ones are good for toast.!

For us, the major benefit of the breadmaker is using the time delay setting. We can set it to start 3 hours before we get up in the morning and have fresh bread for breakfast.
Jun 2021
10:13pm, 6 Jun 2021
14,684 posts
  •  
larkim
My wife loves baking food for the family, but it's the 3+ hour commitment of making by hand that just doesn't fit in when you're working full time and got kids around. It would be hard for me as I'm a klutz when it comes to baking, but my better half is a fine baker, but she just prefers to spend baking time on cakes and puddings, whereas bread isn't her thing so much.

I've asked the same question though about why the other ingredients; I suspect the answer is that you can include them in a handmade loaf too, or omit them from the breadmaker receipe, and see what works. Presumably different textures, crust etc.
Jun 2021
11:23pm, 6 Jun 2021
5,169 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
I researched the dried milk - can be left out, including it gives a softer more shop bought texture to the crumb allegedly (the opposite of what I want anyway). Can also substitute dried with ordinary milk if you want that but don't have dried milk - need to reduce water by amount of milk added if you substitute
Jun 2021
11:06am, 9 Jun 2021
2,682 posts
  •  
Oranj
Thanks for that tip BanjoBax. I've just tried it and like the texture without it. I often wondered why it was included.
Jun 2021
2:59pm, 9 Jun 2021
14,862 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I was chatting to the pizza guys at a friends party on Saturday. We were talking pizza dough. They recommended a book - Flour Water Yeast Salt (may not be in that order) they said its a fantastic book for all doughs.
Jun 2021
1:02pm, 10 Jun 2021
1,148 posts
  •  
Muttley
A successful result this morning, even after I forgot to sieve the flour. 450g of flour, half wholemeal and half white, and 250 ml of water, usual amounts of the other stuff. A nice square loaf.

I have some spelt so shall experiment with that soon.

About This Thread

Maintained by Muttley
So I bought the cheapie Cookworks breadmaker from Argos. My understanding is that these machines are...