Brathay Windermere Marathon 2015

12 watchers
May 2015
11:47pm, 18 May 2015
107 posts
  •  
SooWoo
My slowest marathon, but managed to spot a fellow Highland Flinger and ran maybe three quarters of it with him. Great start to a week of holiday in the Lakes 😀
May 2015
8:22am, 19 May 2015
16,534 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm secretly hoping that if my wife spends some time around Windermere next year, she'll realise just why 10 in 10 is so incredible and maybe soften to the idea of me making an extended stay on the lake.
May 2015
8:23am, 19 May 2015
16,535 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Speaking of which, while I'm planning next year, does anyone have any recommendations for hotels with either family or ideally adjoining rooms.
XB
May 2015
9:36am, 19 May 2015
3,166 posts
  •  
XB
I've heard some very good reports about the YHA in Ambleside. And Brathay have rooms too.
May 2015
9:43am, 19 May 2015
16,536 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I stayed in the YHA last year. It was very nice, actually.
May 2015
10:20am, 19 May 2015
19,234 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I'm toying with the idea of next year
May 2015
10:38am, 19 May 2015
1,041 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
You've seen it now - how could you not? ;)

There's even rumours of adding a half for next year, just to make it all more accessible. The plan seems to be to run out to Hawkshead, loop round Esthwaite Water then come back the same way. It would be a superb route if it comes off but there's a need to ensure the businesses etc in Hawkshead and surrounds are behind it before anybody starts taking seriously about the extra road closures that would be needed.
May 2015
10:46am, 19 May 2015
19,235 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Andy - it was my first marathon in 2010 soI have done it once
I'm not sure what I think about adding a half - selfishly I think it would lose some of it's feel if it got much bigger, but obviously the organisers need to maximise the fundraiisng potential
May 2015
11:10am, 19 May 2015
1,042 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Sorry - I'd not picked up that you'd done it previously - just an impression that you'd been 'denied' this time by injury.

I'm also not sure about a half - it would certainly bring more people in and generate more funds but, on the other hand, there's a very real risk of effectively cutting off Hawkshead entirely for most of the day. Clearly, and quite rightly, that's not going to be acceptable to everybody so a proper consultation is necessary to maintain the good will which has been so hard won. Personally, I'd also be more than a little concerned about traffic build up on site if significant numbers of half marathon finishers were trying to leave at the same time the main marathon field was trying to get back in. I'm sure there will be lots of good people doing plenty of thinking before any decision is made.
May 2015
1:39pm, 26 May 2015
76 posts
  •  
smoke free
thank you EVERYBODY 😍😍

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Caprica Vix (RotJ)
I haven't been able to find one of these yet, so here one is :)