Brass Monkey Half-Marathon

58 watchers
Jan 2013
2:54pm, 21 Jan 2013
48,419 posts
  •  
Puddington
If it's as minging as the last one I got from this race, you'll not want it!
Jan 2013
2:54pm, 21 Jan 2013
3,637 posts
  •  
Nywanda
It's a bit naff that they didn't use the same FAB technology to text us the cancellation, to tell us all about picking up the teeshirt. I was in York all weekend, moping around, doing some consolation shopping and touristing and woulda loved a non-race race memento ;-) loved the break but OH was raging about the costs for "nothing" and after we had a wee look around the roads (would it have cost so much more to snowplough the country road, given that it's called Brass Monkey and this snowy weather was forecast for oooh, quite a while?) he then went on to declare the (I dont know who, organisers, York, folk in general...?) "a bunch o fannies". I found this quite amusing. I wonder if he'll rescind his scathingness if I can get a tech vest out of it (ponders...) nah, prob not! He was definitely more upset than I was, although I missed meeting up with Fetchies. C'est La Vie.
Jan 2013
3:57pm, 21 Jan 2013
2,083 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
"A bunch of fannies" ?? I'm sure the hardworking souls of Knavesmire Harriers would be thrilled to hear themselves described thus.
Jan 2013
6:57pm, 21 Jan 2013
1,342 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
Fair does if the rules say you don't get your money back, then you don't get it back, but Thirsk 10 was rearranged in 2011 and Clowne gave money back or deferred entry for a cancellation the year before so its not as if they couldn't if they wanted to!

Anyway I will be up really early when entries open for 2014 urging everyone not to bother and save their money.
Jan 2013
10:25pm, 21 Jan 2013
5,286 posts
  •  
flip
what will you say. the bastards have successfully put this race on for 30 years out of 31 make it clear as a Bell you won't get a refund or T shirt (unless you can pick it up ) if this total disaster happens-don't take the chance ! I'm sure all will take note... . anyway , my own studies of the Mayan calender made it clear this Yorkshire apocalypse was going to happen . it even predicted the princess pudding is still laughing now
Jan 2013
8:16am, 22 Jan 2013
10,367 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
dunno what the big fuss is...anyone who enters a race between November and right through to March has a risk of the race being cancelled, postponed or affected by the weather. BM stated in their race pack that there would be no refunds in the event of a cancellation; it was there in black & white..!

The race organisers will have incurred a fair chunk of expenses, especially with the cancellation being so late in the day...I would imagine they'll still need to pay for the traffic management service, then there's the race packs with chip timing numbers, the hire of the race venue etc. etc. etc.

I don't doubt that it's a little frustrating that it was cancelled but to try and urge a boycott is just plain silly. What would you have them do..? The organisers re-run the event later in the year and make a significant loss and therefore never stage the race again?
Jan 2013
8:38am, 22 Jan 2013
2,084 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
^ what SODIron said.
Jan 2013
10:52am, 22 Jan 2013
1,020 posts
  •  
DrDan
Yep, indeed, that's life ... I can understand the cancellation, no refund, etc.

Perhaps it would be good if they offered next year's places to this year's runners first.
Jan 2013
12:50pm, 22 Jan 2013
18,490 posts
  •  
Princess Purple Bubbles
As frustrating as a cancellation is surely better a cancellation than an accident that takes the race totally off the calendar. I believe YKH have to book the racecourse a year in advance so to 'reschedule' later in the month/year isnt always an option.

It is annoying and there are mixed views about the loss of this race but better to run another day.

As for boycotting then go ahead but Brass Monkey wasn't the only race victim of the weather and more to the point how much more backlash would there had been if the race had gone ahead but people couldn't get out of York or if they held the race with a reduced field as only limited numbers of runners could get there? Or get people on the start line THEN cancel?

If you are that upset about the non-refund perhaps look at the details on your credit card or under paypal to see if you can obtain a refund under them but YKH work very hard to get the Brass Monkey to be a great event each year and out of 31years for it only to be cancelled in 1 of those years is bloody good going!
Jan 2013
12:56pm, 22 Jan 2013
48,420 posts
  •  
Puddington
Four Villages is offering a partial refund or you can donate it to charity.

About This Thread

Maintained by PamB