Brain Power?

1 watcher
Jun 2013
3:17pm, 28 Jun 2013
3,510 posts
  •  
Pestomum
There's good evidence that exercise increases the size of your hippocampus. which is a good thing :-)

[Erickson, Voss, et al. PNAS January 2011]
Jun 2013
3:26pm, 28 Jun 2013
643 posts
  •  
richh
My brain definitely does not work normally during the last half-mile of a 5K race. I always assumed this was due to oxygen depletion.
Jun 2013
3:52pm, 28 Jun 2013
5,404 posts
  •  
lammo
So is there going to be a proper scientific explanation of why its so hard to work out required splits whilst racing?
Jun 2013
3:53pm, 28 Jun 2013
16,307 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Great one, lammo, one that I have complete empathy, during the later stages of a marathon trying to work out splits takes ages :-)
Jun 2013
9:05pm, 28 Jun 2013
666 posts
  •  
Canute
n the final mile of a race it usually requires greater effort to make your muscles contract compared with the first mile, but nonetheless, if you run regularly, your muscles will be in better condition than it you spend all day on the couch watching TV. It might even be that at the end of a race, oxygen deprivation not only makes it harder to calculate splits but also stimulates the increase in blood flow to the hippocampus, but this is just a speculation. At the end of a marathon, glucose depletion is probably the main reason why your brain is fuzzy.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Quote "Although the human brain represents only 2% of the body weight, it receives 15% of the cardi...