Boxer skipping

7 watchers
Oct 2017
11:40am, 20 Oct 2017
7,473 posts
  •  
becca7
There was a young chap skipping at my gym the other day and it was very impressive. It almost looked like he didn't have a rope at all as it was whizzing round and it looked very different from the blue nylon rope that I tried and failed to skip with a few years back. Clearly rope choice was where I was going wrong as well, mulbs. ;)
D2
Oct 2017
12:58pm, 20 Oct 2017
10,105 posts
  •  
D2
We should probably all buy more kit before we even think of trying this and then start by finding some admiring friends.

Or maybe there is a learn to box website with some skipping advice....... wanders off to look..........
Oct 2017
12:59pm, 20 Oct 2017
12,099 posts
  •  
Sharkie
There are loads of Youtube things, some quite useful....
Oct 2017
1:00pm, 20 Oct 2017
12,100 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I don't think proper skipping is difficult at all - just doing it for more than about a minute!

(My coach sometimes insists....)
Oct 2017
2:29pm, 20 Oct 2017
13,263 posts
  •  
mulbs
Honestly Sharkie, I blame years of playground skipping for my ingrained inability to "bring the arms" into boxer skipping. I can do the feet and keep the rhythm with the rope swinging one handed but as soon as I start two handed and therefore having to jump the rope I'm back to

"Ladybird, Ladybird, turn around,

Ladybird, Ladybirdtouch the ground.

Ladybird, Ladybirdshine your shoes,

Ladybird, Ladybirdread the news.

Ladybird, Ladybird, how old are you?

One, two, three, four . . . . ."
Oct 2017
2:49pm, 20 Oct 2017
37,854 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
Maybe play music while you skip to drown out the playground chanting in your head?
We skip quite a lot in Rebound classes, only we use pretend ropes because otherwise we’d fall off the trampolines :) If you use a pretend rope that’s definitely easier!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by mulbs
So, I made myself a New Year's resolution to learn to skip like a boxer, half heartedly made a ...