Box Jumps

12 watchers
SPR
Apr 2018
9:32am, 27 Apr 2018
26,141 posts
  •  
SPR
Stuart - Agree, they are drilling similar to hill sprints if done correctly. Another reason why going for max height is a bad idea, it leads to slower jump whereas for most sessions the point should be to improve rate of force development.

As you know though, most distance runners don't do the hill sprints so should probably start there.
May 2018
10:24pm, 4 May 2018
2,777 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
What about box hopping?

Got to be more run specific surely?
May 2018
10:36pm, 4 May 2018
1,887 posts
  •  
sLickster
At my local athletics track I find the terracing on the home straight is a nice height for some box jump type exercises. I’m working my legs on a non-maximal height, so keep my arms out straight rather than swing them. It’s solid concrete so some sore shins if it goes wrong!
SPR
May 2018
10:43pm, 4 May 2018
26,210 posts
  •  
SPR
They are also harder. I think there's a lot of other hopping exercises you'd do before you'd even consider box hopping.
May 2018
7:19am, 5 May 2018
2,779 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
Such as spr? Be interested in some new exercises.
SPR
May 2018
8:43am, 5 May 2018
26,211 posts
  •  
SPR
A lot might have been overselling it, but I don't think box hopping is especially useful for runners as hops should generally be done in bunches. Depth hops (off box then immediately into air) are more useful than box hops as you immediately hop once you land, so training the responses you want when running. Can also be tough though so not for beginners.

For anyone starting, I think two feet jumps (box and others), and basic hops variations on level ground are good enough, no need to get too specific early.

For the type of specificity you're seeking, stair hops, up and down would work well (assuming you don't already do this)
Dec 2020
11:30am, 8 Dec 2020
124,119 posts
  •  
Little town of Greplehem
Boing - bounce for press-up wire.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by idle_wilder
I have weekly personal training session once a week, with around half the session being strength-bas...