Boston (USA) 2019

10 watchers
Apr 2019
12:35pm, 10 Apr 2019
14,348 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
If its cold personally I would wear gloves to race in, but I do suffer really badly with cold hands.

I am starting to wish I had taken Monday off to watch Boston on the telly...but sadly I have an all day session Tuesday that needs prepared for on Monday
Apr 2019
2:18pm, 10 Apr 2019
1,187 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Sorry Happy, I was being facetious. I agree, hypothermia won’t kill anyone doing the Boston marathon.
Apr 2019
3:01pm, 10 Apr 2019
31,158 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry Steve, sense of humour failure my end!

Would really rather it wasn't horizontal sleet like last year. Reading 5 worst weather Boston marathon article and 1976 it was 100F! And 2012 was 89F! Have you ever heard of a town to have such a big fluctuation for the same week?! Below zero (upper 30s?) last year. Eeep!

If nothing else, my missus won't enjoy spectating much. Mind you, she could just sneak into a coffee shop or bar, I wouldn't mind! I'll tell her that! :-) G
Apr 2019
3:01pm, 10 Apr 2019
31,159 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Article on weather runnersworld.com
Apr 2019
3:56pm, 10 Apr 2019
1,188 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
It was 18° and beautiful in Boston last Sunday, 0° and wet on Monday; snow and sleet yesterday evening, blue skies and 2° this morning.

Most forecasts are predicting a pleasant weekend and then a “washout” on Monday. Wind direction uncertain but most predictions have north and east in them.

So, I’m expecting wet and cold but still hoping for a break with wind direction🤞
Apr 2019
4:03pm, 10 Apr 2019
31,161 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
What the flip? That's worse than British weather fluctuating day to day (hour to hour!). Oh well, it will be what it will be. Hope you're enjoying your time out there. :-) G
Apr 2019
4:29pm, 10 Apr 2019
1,189 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Absolutely Happy, nowt to be done about it.

I hope I get the chance to shake your hand in wave 2 pen 2! What are your vest colours? I’ll be in Gosport yellow/white with the UJ shorts as a nod to Ron Hill’s run in 1970.

Yep, we’re having a great time. The city is buzzing and people are eager to talk about the marathon. I know that the US generally does hospitality well but Boston has made us very welcome. If you enjoy a beer, the special “26.2” brewed by Samuel Adams and available all over town is going down very well.
Apr 2019
7:05pm, 10 Apr 2019
84 posts
  •  
Rossco Peeko
I can confirm that hypothermia was a definite risk last year; I’m sure I read that at least one elite athlete had go into a house on the route for assistance until help arrived. In spite of training through a Scottish winter I ran with hat, gloves and base layer the whole way. I was also conscious that slowing to a walk at any point would almost certainly mean exit from the race due to getting cold so quickly. Also at the end they provide a good quality blanket on crossing the line but after a long (30 minute! 😮) wait for dry clothing pick up I was definitely in the early stages of hypothermia.
Apr 2019
12:48pm, 12 Apr 2019
31,189 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
How's Boston looking Steve? You've got sunshine there today I think (or will have in a few hours when the sun is up?!)

Right, I've found an old hoodie, and some long shorts / sweat pants things to discard at start if necessary. And I've decided to run with my bumbag instead of just gel belt (partly influenced by not being able to find my gel belt!) so that I can stow a jacket, gloves, hat if need be and not just throw away.

And I can carry my phone for selfies, because it's going to be more *that* sort of race for me!

Club mate started a group of 5 of us in FB for messages too, from 3 different local clubs. May be some Scottish ex pat meet ups going on out there.

I'm hoping coffee on Sunday somewhere may be on. Message on FB if you're up for this Steve or anyone else. On a plane in 18 hours! :-) G
Apr 2019
12:49pm, 12 Apr 2019
14,364 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
How is the forecast for Monday - hope its not as bad as once feared

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Can't believe there isn't a thread for it already. Especially as entry opened on Monday al...