Boston (USA) 2019

10 watchers
Sep 2018
2:08pm, 13 Sep 2018
29,180 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Can't believe there isn't a thread for it already. Especially as entry opened on Monday already. I was in wave 2 of qualifying time, so I entered yesterday. Hoping to hear by Saturday, I think? Slight hiccup in mine is that I've moved house between Chester Marathon (though encouragingly it was in their race listings) and entry now, so they said they couldn't match me. But I've dropped them a reply email. I think they do some manual matching and checking.

Anyone whose done it - freezing year 2018 (a very sad death last year I think, and lots of very cold and wet runners), boiling year 2017 (2700 non finished and 100 plus treated for heat related problems?) or any other experience gratefully received.

Travel and accomm could be the big challenges! :-) G
Sep 2018
2:24pm, 13 Sep 2018
971 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Hey Happy! Registered on Monday with my Brum time, which wasn’t on the “auto select” list. Now a nervous wait for confirmation.

Incidentally I tried with my London (which is on the list) time yesterday but that couldn’t be matched either.

Hopefully some of our $250 goes towards a thorough verification process.
Sep 2018
2:35pm, 13 Sep 2018
29,182 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hey Steve!
Nearly £200 is a bit of a shock to the system, isn't it? After the gift that is London at £30 and even Edinburgh is "only" £50.

Registering on Monday means you were well under the qualifying standard. Well done. You should be a shoe in.

My time should be fine too. But just hoping "Chester, Englaaand" is acceptable to them. Hoping MBNA sponsorship gives it some recognisable branding to them!

How long do we expect to wait to hear? Saturday, is it all over by then? Or Monday next? :-) G
Sep 2018
2:46pm, 13 Sep 2018
7,737 posts
  •  
becca7
Good luck SailorSteve and HappyG. I've run this a couple of times but I'm not putting in for next year. It is expensive but very nicely organised and the long sleeve tops tend to be lovely (even if the race jackets are not always such nice colours). It's a great race but I've got some other expensive ones for 2019.
Sep 2018
2:50pm, 13 Sep 2018
29,183 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, Tokyo becca? Awesome goal. Is that one you have to qualify to get into too? Or can you do it on a sport tour or charity type entry? Great event to experience though, I'd say. When do you hit 200?! :-) G
Sep 2018
2:55pm, 13 Sep 2018
7,738 posts
  •  
becca7
Charity entry for Tokyo, which was a big wad of cash but not anything like as much as you need for London or Boston and about a third of the price of the tour company. I had intended to use a time qualifier but they changed it from sub 3:40 to sub 3:30 and injuries at the end of last year put paid to that. 200 is a long way off.
Sep 2018
3:02pm, 13 Sep 2018
972 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Thanks becca.

Happy, a Belgian pal (2.42.xx at Boston last year!!!) has assured me that the process is smooth but that he had to answer an email query re his entry (Berlin wasn't on the auto list!?). He recollects the process took a week although I note that the disclaimers state four.
Sep 2018
3:06pm, 13 Sep 2018
7,739 posts
  •  
becca7
Last time I ran I got an email to say that my entry had been received and then about 48 hours later another with confirmation of acceptance but that was with a Chicago time I think, so would have been on the list.
Sep 2018
3:09pm, 13 Sep 2018
7,740 posts
  •  
becca7
Actually, scrub that, it couldn't have been Chicago. It was either Kosice or I might have used London.
Sep 2018
3:47pm, 13 Sep 2018
975 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
No reason to doubt the process, it's just that whenever an automated system is involved, until you're "in" you're "out"! All part of the fun I guess.....

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Can't believe there isn't a thread for it already. Especially as entry opened on Monday al...