Boston Marathon 2017

6 watchers
Feb 2017
2:33pm, 28 Feb 2017
355 posts
  •  
Scooby Dave
Very good point about starting with people that qualified at roughly the same time as you. Last year, I found it a bit like driving down a motorway where everyone is doing a very similar speed.

I also found that it was more of a "serious" race but the organisation etc is superb. The way they get you on buses from Boston to the start, and then manage each group of runners to the start line is so well done.
Feb 2017
2:35pm, 28 Feb 2017
356 posts
  •  
Scooby Dave
Still get the typical "big" race issues where you have lots of runners. There are big queues for the ports potties but I found that when we were called down to the start, there were a whole car park of toilets. (You have to walk from the start village with the rest of the runners from your pen and I guess that due to the staggered start times, these toilets were not so busy)
Feb 2017
2:39pm, 28 Feb 2017
26,430 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I may buck that trend a bit! I will be ambling it at best, I suspect! I can do a 3:20 or 3:25 qualifier reasonably confidently, but that is a long way off my former PBs, so I would have no incentive to run Boston as quickly as possible. For me, just being there would be the prize. I'd run it as best as I could, of course, but I suspect folk would stream by me! :-) G
Feb 2017
3:48pm, 28 Feb 2017
484 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Great info and insights everyone. This is my target race for 2018 so soaking up all of the posts here and on the previous years' threads. Fascinating stuff.
Mar 2017
3:16pm, 8 Mar 2017
7 posts
  •  
StephenGarland
What a great thread! I am so pleased I started it!

I have booked the course tour! Looking forward to the fun of the tour, and also to meet some fellow participants.

I'm practising the downhills, but that's also a good tip to do some other quad exercises - something I can easily fit in/add to my programme.
Mar 2017
4:46pm, 18 Mar 2017
8 posts
  •  
StephenGarland
Not long to go!

I need to do some more hills ....!!!

We still have space in our Cambridge AirBnB if there is someone still looking for a place to stay ...
Mar 2017
8:30pm, 26 Mar 2017
505 posts
  •  
JenLov
Last long run done and time for some sensible tapering? Am in wave 3, corral 8. How is everyone doing with 3 weeks to go?
Mar 2017
9:29pm, 26 Mar 2017
7,193 posts
  •  
becca7
It's not a target race for me so no sensible tapering and I just ran a 50km race. Wave 3, corral 3.
Mar 2017
8:31am, 27 Mar 2017
46 posts
  •  
steve_c
Hi all,
I also have an airbnb in Cambridge (for a change). Just did a long run yesterday despite having a pulled groin for a few weeks, and an ongoing knee injury from last July. Although I'm set for wave 2 corral 6 I think I will drop back and run with my SO in 3/7 because of this. There's no way I will get near my time of 3:20 two years ago. So long as I get under my age qualifying time I'll be happy (I'm 60 this year so that's 3:55).
Mar 2017
11:39am, 27 Mar 2017
26,520 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Good luck Boston marathoners. You must be in taper now, are you (3 weeks to go, is that right? 1 week before London? We all wore the black ribbons at London in 2013. Very poignant.) :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I am going to Boston for the 1st time (and 5th marathon).

Anyone got any tips? Training, where to...