Boston Marathon 2015

13 watchers
Jun 2015
12:32pm, 26 Jun 2015
3,576 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Oh - just checked - I only need to do 3:55 so even better.
Jun 2015
12:34pm, 26 Jun 2015
298 posts
  •  
Scooby Dave
Wow, I'm hoping that my 2 1/2 minutes will be ok. You must be a safe bet with that margin, like you say, barring computer problems etc.
Jun 2015
12:36pm, 26 Jun 2015
3,577 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Yes, I think I'm going to book the flights once I have made a decision if I;m running. I have booked hotel already (cancellable room so can cancel if I decide not to run). Only fly in the ointment is hubby is currently on redundancy notice. Once we know outcome of that (i.e. if he has a job I will book!) will get flights sorted.
Jul 2016
5:27pm, 20 Jul 2016
25,799 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi there - what is the weather like in Boston in mid April. I'm hoping to go one year (2018 or 2019) and wondering if the weather is nice enough to suggest to family to come and whether we could make a week's holiday of it afterwards?

Thanks, :-) G
Jul 2016
6:11pm, 20 Jul 2016
6,854 posts
  •  
becca7
I think, from past years, it's difficult to predict. It was warm the year that I did it. Hotter in a previous year and terrible rain in another.
Jul 2016
7:05pm, 20 Jul 2016
349 posts
  •  
Scooby Dave
Weather is very unpredictable and can also vary a lot along the course on race day as it is point to point. We stayed out for the week this year, flew out Friday, raced Monday, and then stayed until the following weekend.

Marathon weekend in Boston is great. The city really does get behind it. There is stuff to see in Boston like the Boston Freedom Trail and seeing the Red Sox at Fenway Park. After the marathon, we hired a car and went down to Rhode Island. We did find that some things were closed and still out of season.

As Becca put, the weather is difficult to predict. Last year was a very wet race whereas this year was a very hot one. Great race to tick off the bucket list though.
Jul 2016
11:59am, 22 Jul 2016
25,807 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks everyone. Really useful. It's between Boston in April or New York in November (both on my bucket list but really thinking I can only do one of them for my 50th!) If only there was a big US marathon in May/June or Sept/Oct. Actually, Chicago is early Oct, maybe that would be a better bet? :-) G
Jul 2016
12:05pm, 22 Jul 2016
6,855 posts
  •  
becca7
I've only done Boston, which I would recommend and, as a marathon runner, if I hadn't already done that one, it would be the one that I would choose of the three. I'm doing Chicago this year and hopefully New York at a later date, if I can run fast enough to get the GFA time.
Jul 2016
12:51pm, 22 Jul 2016
25,808 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Boston really is first on the list for me too. Iconic. But I had a friend over from America last month and he and his wife have invited us over and I'm trying to work out a way of combining the marathon with a holiday. And April in Boston or November in New York aren't so appealing! I might just have to make it a week in Boston and go meet them for food and indoor fun, rather than a week by the beach! :-) G
Jul 2016
12:58pm, 22 Jul 2016
6,856 posts
  •  
becca7
It's similar to the UK. You can't know what sort of weather you will get in April but Boston is a super place to visit in any case.

About This Thread

Maintained by run-forest-run
So whose in Boston for the marathon in 2015 ?

Got my place confirmed there after making the quali...