Boston Marathon 2015

13 watchers
Oct 2014
10:06am, 1 Oct 2014
2,712 posts
  •  
run-forest-run
So whose in Boston for the marathon in 2015 ?

Got my place confirmed there after making the qualifying time earlier in the year. Who else is planning to be there and anyone got and good tips while in Boston ?
Oct 2014
10:22am, 1 Oct 2014
5,715 posts
  •  
becca7
I did this race earlier this year but didn't put in for 2015. Great race, super organisation - the best example of that is that they had pears at the finish line and they were perfectly ripe.

Hotels are terribly expensive because they put the prices up. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in south Boston, which had a reasonable rate. I it is a little way out from the city centre, a couple of miles, but near the subway.
Oct 2014
10:44am, 1 Oct 2014
9,354 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
Superb race and event, did the year of the bombs which ruined the post race feeling so me and the OH have resolved to go back in 2016.

Course was a surprise though, it nailed me like no other marathon has. I've done hillier ones overall, faster ones, hotter ones but none has damaged me quite like Boston.

It's the early downhill section that damages you - you just don;t know it at the time. Even though I was cautious, VERY cautious in pacing across that section. But a look back at the training shows where the gap was....

Lesson I took away was train for downhills - I'd done lots of traditional run up jog down hill work, and the odd hilly run/race. Nothing that isolated the stresses of running downhill to condition you to them. If you do a long hilly run (or race) with uphills and downhills the uphills are much more stressful on your body so that is where your training adaptations occur.

Uphills are important obviously but there is more downhill than uphill in the race, your training should reflect that.

- do some hill sessions where you RUN down at race pace, jog GENTLY up.

- do hill sessions where you run up (30 secs per mile slower than race pace), run down (30 secs per mile faster than race pace) then recover on the level

- do some long runs where you do a session of run downhill/jog GENTLY up before the long run to replicate what the course is like
Hoping these will condition the quads to deal with a long downhill run then still be ready for a fast marathon for the remaining 20 miles.

I did 3:12, but should have done around 3:05-3:07.

Do the pre race bus tour of the course, go whale watching (saw a couple :-)), try and do the expo early as poss after arrival or early am - it's a zoo.
Oct 2014
8:55pm, 1 Oct 2014
2,713 posts
  •  
run-forest-run
That's brilliant, thanks for the tips, really useful :-)
Jan 2015
12:15pm, 12 Jan 2015
2,253 posts
  •  
Sweaty Frank
I've booked flights and hotel, and I recommend doing it very soon if you have not. Run-forest-run, congrats on making it to your first Boston. TRO has made some excellent observations and recommendations. I don't have much to add regarding training and strategy specific to Boston. Just enjoy the whole experience. The city goes crazy for the marathon.
Jan 2015
12:21pm, 12 Jan 2015
9,962 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
Hey up.

I've got my qualifier for 2016's race at Amsterdam last October. My OH failed though :-(, but she has two attempts pencilled in this year. Nail either of these and we're in for 2016.

Shame it's such a long way off. I'm sure the Wellesley College girls will still be there though...;-)
Jan 2015
12:36pm, 12 Jan 2015
2,844 posts
  •  
run-forest-run
Fab !! Thanks Frank, got flights all sorted immediately on acceptance and glad I did, same ones now an extra £290 !!

I was booked at a holiday Inn about 3 miles out to the west, but been lucky enough to have recommended to me someone who rents out a couple of spare rooms in their house, still not what I would class as cheap and it's basic but only me going and has the advantage of only being about 4 blocks from the finish area.

Can't wait :-)
Jan 2015
12:40pm, 12 Jan 2015
6,001 posts
  •  
becca7
Accommodation location sounds good r-f-r, not so far to trek in your post-race space cape.
Jan 2015
5:47pm, 12 Jan 2015
2,254 posts
  •  
Sweaty Frank
RFR, I think you are staying at the Holiday Inn Brookline. I will be there as well. It is too far to walk, but you can just take the Green line to St. Paul street. It is very convenient.
Jan 2015
10:00pm, 12 Jan 2015
2,845 posts
  •  
run-forest-run
Frank - I was but cancelled that as I got an alternative 4 blocks from expo and finish that was more within my budget too.

About This Thread

Maintained by run-forest-run
So whose in Boston for the marathon in 2015 ?

Got my place confirmed there after making the quali...