MKS
SF - yes 1st Boston and 3rd mara

Debut at VLM 2012 3:32:13 and then Abingdon 2012 3:24:14
Feb 2013
6:31pm, 20 Feb 2013
1,955 posts
  •  
Sweaty Frank
MKS, I recommend some downhill training. Focus on your downhill form. If you can limit the damage to your quads in early downhill miles of the race, you will have a much better second half, especially through Newton. I usually get together with some friends who will be running Boston, and we park our cars at the bottom of a 3.5 mile downhill. We warm-up by running up, then turn and run down, then get into one of our cars and drive back to the top, run down again, drive back up and run down, until we run out of cars at the bottom.
Feb 2013
6:39am, 21 Feb 2013
28,503 posts
  •  
Foxy
downhill running is tough & a very underestimated part of training.

I had a tough day at Boston last year due to the heat & foolishly doing a tough off road 50km in CT on the Saturday before, must go back & put in a decent time.
MKS
Feb 2013
9:06pm, 23 Feb 2013
28 posts
  •  
MKS
SF - I like the idea of that 3.5m run! Where I live I can't help but run up and down hills, even tonight on a simple road circuit round the lanes here, I had 1,260ft ascent/descent. There is also an offroad stretch across sheep pasture & trail that drops 550 ft in about 2 miles which I use

I have also been doing the local XC league for the last two seasons - 16 races in all, so I have practiced!

We'll soon find out if it is enough though.....thanks for the tips.
Feb 2013
12:52am, 25 Feb 2013
1,960 posts
  •  
Sweaty Frank
MKS, that is all good experience and it will help, but having done all of that doesn't guarantee that your downhill form is good. It would be helpful to have someone with credentials observe and critique your downhill form. I did just that and I feel that I benefited from it, especially in Boston.
Mar 2013
10:02pm, 9 Mar 2013
1,972 posts
  •  
Sweaty Frank
Ran a half-marathon and the result was about as I expected. Indications for a slower than normal Boston this year, but given my training, that is only fair. I've missed too many of my scheduled interval workouts and tempo runs. I am adapting to aging and arthritis. It's harder mentally then physically.
Mar 2013
12:18pm, 10 Mar 2013
200 posts
  •  
oprah
I recently realised that I met the qualifying standard for Boston in 2014, but only by a couple of minutes. I am wondering how the new window system works and what the likelihood of me getting a place is. I am not in the most congested age group, but I still imagine it filling up quite quickly if I have to wait for a week to look for a spot.

I was excited just to have qualified for London (assuming they don't lower the standard ridiculously for 2014 like NYC), but the opportunity to run Boston is obviously special.

Good luck to those of you running it!
MKS
Mar 2013
6:21pm, 10 Mar 2013
29 posts
  •  
MKS
Oprah - it took 2wks to fill the 2013 slots so you have a good chance.
Mar 2013
9:44pm, 10 Mar 2013
82 posts
  •  
Once a Sprinter ...
Before they tightened up the BQs by 5 minutes last year I was 45 seconds outside when entering 2012, but 15 seconds within the +1 minute (if that makes sense - that is 3.45.45 for 3.45 time) and missed out when they cut. I think the cut-off was about 1 minute inside the times - so about 3.44 in my case.

for thsi year I was well under the time - 3.30 vs the BQ 3.40 and entries took 2 or 3 weeks before filling so I would guess that you would be unlucky not to get in with the revised tougher times.

Unfortunately I have had a hamstring problem since 5 Jan and not been able to train. I definitely will not be able to run but I am seriously considering walking. The cut-offtime is 6 hours after the final starter so I have maybe 6 1/2 to 7 sevens depending on the start number. I intend to see if I can cope with long 3 hour plus walks over next couple of weekends without damaging my hamstring.

The only saving grace is that I did my BQ at Berlin last September and is valid for a 2014 entry so can enter again
Mar 2013
12:32pm, 11 Mar 2013
1,977 posts
  •  
Sweaty Frank
Sorry about your hamstring problems. I hope you can complete the course before the cut-off, so you can record an official completion. I just had a conversation with a friend who is also going to Boston and he has been dealing with a similar hamstring issue since November. He thinks he might be able to jog/walk through it. He want to keep his streak of 8 consecutive Bostons going. Seems likely that he'll be able to do it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Received my acceptance from the BAA for the 2013 Boston Marathon. I had booked my room 3 weeks ago...