Borrowdale training advice required

3 watchers
fff
Jun 2013
7:50am, 14 Jun 2013
201 posts
  •  
fff
lumpy???? what about all that boulder dancing on scafell pike?
Jul 2016
11:30am, 27 Jul 2016
253 posts
  •  
UsedToRunaBit
What shoes did you use for this? Trail or fell? Seems a long way for fell shoes with big lugs?
Jul 2016
12:43pm, 27 Jul 2016
7,948 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I would use fell shoes.

Probably not mudclaws, but X-Talons.

Not sure trail shoes would have enough grip for the downs.
Jul 2016
12:50pm, 27 Jul 2016
254 posts
  •  
UsedToRunaBit
I have a pair of speedcross or new pair of xtalons 212, I'll take both and see on the conditions.

Any ideas if they put water out or do you carry your own?
Jul 2016
1:39pm, 27 Jul 2016
255 posts
  •  
UsedToRunaBit
Scouring strava seems most wear 212, looking at the 50% elevation I can see why..Better get them borken in to
Jul 2016
1:42pm, 27 Jul 2016
7,949 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Err, it's a fell race.

So, no, no water en-route except for whatever from streams...

Have you done any fell running/racing before? If not, this isn't exactly the best race to start with - it's one of the toughest in the book.
Jul 2016
3:45pm, 27 Jul 2016
256 posts
  •  
UsedToRunaBit
That's not entirely true, they handed out water in Cader Idris, unless that's not a fell race..which is why I asked.

I didn't expect them to, but wanted to check.
Jul 2016
4:13pm, 27 Jul 2016
7,950 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Bit of a difference between Cader and Borrowdale - if memory serves (not having done the race), Cader is flat along a track for the first half and stays near the road until the climb and returns via the same route, so it's easy for a water station.

Borrowdale is upland all the way, with the only time you're anywhere near a road being the crossing at Honister.

But, for the avoidance of doubt - the vast majority of fell races (certainly traditional ones like Borrowdale), there's no water stations.
Jul 2016
4:19pm, 27 Jul 2016
258 posts
  •  
UsedToRunaBit
Yeah for sure, under no illusions how hard it's going to be, I'm not really racing it though, just a long hard training run, getting ready for Redbull Steeplechase in Oct. Just read so much about it, it's almost like a rights of passage to run this and can't wait.

I'll be carrying a water bladder for sure, I sweat walking to the fridge :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chromey
So, I'm supposed to be doing this mad 17 mile slightly lumpy fell race in August and haven't got a...