•  
LindsD
Fair nuff.
Feb 2017
9:42pm, 25 Feb 2017
12,543 posts
  •  
Columba
I interpreted the "exhibits" as being items the boys-now-grown-up-and-grown-old had individually kept, or come across, and had now gathered them together and discussed the whole sequence of events. I'm sure this interpretation is not the only possible one; also sure there is no one definitive interpretation.
Feb 2017
10:28pm, 26 Feb 2017
1,378 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I found the constant anticipation of more death tiring. There were several stand out scenes I liked a lot though and the general small town twitchiness was done well
Mar 2017
1:33pm, 4 Mar 2017
7,294 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I've been thinking about this book after finishing it a few days ago and I'm still not sure exactly what I think about it! I think in the end I like the writing and the idea but not how it written, if that makes any sense!

I found the narration style (using "we" all the time) hard to deal with. It made everything seen distant and unreliable. I'm sure this was a deliberate choice as can we ever really know why people choose to do things and behave in certain ways? Everyone will have a different viewpoint and there is no one real truth. However this means we never get to understand the girls' motivation which I found disappointing even if it was in keeping with how the story was told.

Unfortunately I found the ending where the 4 remaining sisters try to kill themselves in different ways simultaneously just the wrong side of ludicrous and it spoilt the book slightly. Up until then it was probably a 7 but this brought it down to a 6.
Mar 2017
1:46pm, 4 Mar 2017
27,518 posts
  •  
Night-owl
I think I know what you mean LN. I finished it late last night. Don't quite know what to say. I liked the way it was written. The style. I had thought the suicides would be separate

Maybe I'll have more to say in a few days. I did have reservations reading it in the beginning because of the subject matter
Sep 2019
8:59am, 10 Sep 2019
41,099 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Shock horror probe - on reading (not quite finished yet) the Sept 2019 book Then We Came To The End, I think I've realised why *this* book didn't gel with me.

Both are written in the first person plural and in both cases, I have found it a very distancing artifice. Even when something's written in the third person it usually has a focus around one at a time. There's an odd vagueness about 'we'. I guess the author is going for a sort of gestalt-narrator but I find it really hard to read without a central 'person' to hang onto.

So, I might have a return to TVS and see if I feel more inspired to read this time.
Sep 2019
9:03am, 10 Sep 2019
29,363 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's a very interesting observation. Let us know if you do re-read.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
February's book be The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Let's have your thoughts below, if...