Book Group: Oct Bonus Book - We AACB Ourselves discussion thread

21 watchers
Dec 2014
5:36pm, 9 Dec 2014
296 posts
  •  
pink fairy
I think it was more the mother-daughter relationship that seemed unrealistic as it had been strained. Also the way Fern got to live didn't sound that bad, was no longer being tested on etc. I think I would have liked less of a time jump to the end, that might have helped me find it a bit more realistic. Also I kind of wanted to know what happened to Harlow and was surprised we didn't find out.
Dec 2014
1:26pm, 10 Dec 2014
5,610 posts
  •  
Columba
Yes, Fern ended up in a reasonably happy situation. But she had got there via some extremely traumatic experiences, including losing her first two children.

I suppose Harlow is still at large, liberating animals when possible.
Dec 2014
5:15pm, 11 Dec 2014
3,410 posts
  •  
LindsD
Aren't we meant to think that Harlow was with Lowell when he got arrested?
Dec 2014
10:57pm, 11 Dec 2014
5,625 posts
  •  
Columba
Oh dear, - I can't remember now, and have passed the book oin to Younger Daughter.
Dec 2014
10:57pm, 11 Dec 2014
5,626 posts
  •  
Columba
oin = on
Jan 2015
7:00pm, 17 Jan 2015
1,292 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
I'm gradually getting further behind with these books!

I started reading this on the day I finished BB, which, checking back, was the end of November and it's taken me until now to finish it. I didn't know Fern was a chimp until the reveal, although it was clear there was something not right about her, I assumed that she was probably disabled in some way.

I can't say I particularly enjoyed it, I'm not sure why, it just didn't grab me and I won't be rushing to read any more of KJG's books. I guess I read about a third of it in the first week, then put it down and wasn't all that bothered about finishing it, reading the final quarter or so today. Maybe I'm just not clever enough to pick up on all the nuances, or I miss out on them with my 'skim' reading.
Jan 2015
6:22pm, 18 Jan 2015
5,885 posts
  •  
Columba
I don't think skim reading helps, with novels.
Don't worry about "getting behind" with the books, just read the ones you fancy, as you come across them. If not sure what you will fancy, see if you can find reviews on t'internet.
Jan 2015
11:08pm, 31 Jan 2015
4,189 posts
  •  
CStar
Read this on the basis of Bint's staff recommendation rather than book club on here !

Just finished it. It is absolutely not the sort of book I normally read, so very interesting to do so.

I thought the writing was excellent and the twist was unusual. I just found the bouncing back and forth really annoying and the whole plot just sort of dribbled away at the end. A poor ending to what could have been a great book. I also skimmed through some of the psychology bits as they were either too confusing or frankly of little interest or both.

Al in all I enjoyed it as it was so well written, but I think someone like Fleecy with a background in Psychology will have got a lot more out of it than us lesser mortals.
Feb 2015
6:41pm, 1 Feb 2015
5,989 posts
  •  
Columba
I too have a background in psychology which may partly account for why I liked it. Though even at the time I did think the psychology section might be of limited appeal.
Feb 2015
6:56pm, 1 Feb 2015
6,504 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Well I loved it, including the psychology parts - they're important to the story, the theme and the message (for want of a better word) and I am but a dimbo ex art student.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
SPOILER ALERT!!!

This is an extra bonus discussion thread for the October Bonus Book, We Are All ...