We don't hide behind a paywall!

Log and analyse training, find events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more.
Join Fetcheveryone

Book Group: A Wizard of Earthsea - discussion forum

9 watchers
Apr 2018
10:14am, 22 Apr 2018
8486 posts
  •  
  •  
Little Nemo
Picking up on a few of the points:

I liked that Ged wasn't immediately likable, it gives the story a bit more depth and realism for me.

It is noticeable as an adult how few female characters there are. As a child I didn't notice because I always saw myself as Ged so it never bothered me. The 2nd book balances this out as the main character is female.

I agree about the style being quite sparse, but it's also beautiful and almost poetic.

There are obvious links to JK Rowling but I think her books are more like the classic boarding school novels with magic overlaid. I still love Harry Potter but it's a totally different approach as far as I'm concerned.
Apr 2018
12:24pm, 22 Apr 2018
101947 posts
  •  
  •  
GregP
Love your review - very similar to mine :)

You *have* read The Name of the Wind, yes?
Apr 2018
12:27pm, 22 Apr 2018
8493 posts
  •  
  •  
Little Nemo
No, I did see you'd made some suggestions. They'll have to go on my (ever-expanding!) list :-)
Apr 2018
1:01pm, 22 Apr 2018
101950 posts
  •  
  •  
GregP
UKL-G wrote to Patrick Rothsfuss to say how much she enjoyed it. In some ways it’s TWOE for grown-ups.
Apr 2018
1:44pm, 22 Apr 2018
8495 posts
  •  
  •  
Little Nemo
I've ordered a 2nd hand copy, should be with me before the end of the month :-)
Apr 2018
3:58pm, 22 Apr 2018
101953 posts
  •  
  •  
GregP
:)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
For February 2018 Greppers has enchosen A Wizard of Earthsea by recently deceased top author Ursula ...

Fetch Limited Edition Buffs

Order now for immediate dispatch! Our elves are standing by!

The Fetch Book Store

With your help, we're building a collection of all your favourite running, biking, swimming and walking books.

Annual Training mileage

Take a look at our annual training mileage table to find out how your training volume compares for running, cycling, swimming and walking. Filter by age and gender too.

The Breakfast Club!

Where's your favourite place to refuel your face after a run, or midway through a ride? Add your favourite cafes, cake shops and bakeries to our Points Of Interest map