Nov 2020
7:58am, 29 Nov 2020
123,921 posts
  •  
GregP
I read this

waterstones.com

last year and on Goodreads I said this:

Faintly disappointing. I expected the book to render me better informed, or at least more aware of my ignorance and thirsty to learn. It seems to have done neither of these things, yet managed to leave me feeling melancholy. A wasted opportunity, and certainly not - at least for me - worthy of the considerable hype and buzz that surrounds the book.
Nov 2020
2:43pm, 29 Nov 2020
35,054 posts
  •  
Night-owl
j'ai fini
Nov 2020
3:05pm, 29 Nov 2020
47,460 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Zut alors!
Nov 2020
4:29pm, 29 Nov 2020
18,261 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I am on holiday from 19th December and so will try to make that the day I start the Christmas book :-)
Nov 2020
5:01pm, 29 Nov 2020
20,569 posts
  •  
Columba
Looking forward to Chrisull's reviews of the two books which have blown his mind.
Nov 2020
5:13pm, 29 Nov 2020
35,057 posts
  •  
Night-owl
I already know the book I'm going to read in the new year. Which starts in Jan 2021
Nov 2020
5:14pm, 29 Nov 2020
16,955 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Chrisull is probs a lot cleverer or better educated than wot I am. I am finding 'my' physics book quite hard. It assumes rather more knowledge than I have - an O level more than 50 years ago.

wordery.com
Nov 2020
5:15pm, 29 Nov 2020
16,956 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I refuse to be dimmer than our kid though (astrophysics at university).
Nov 2020
7:56pm, 29 Nov 2020
16,980 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I gave up all my lessons in science after GCSE (well excluding computer science), so the physics stuff is quite challenging, the 7 brief lessons apparently "informs", Reality is not what it seems, the latter is the longer book and the author started it before 7 brief lessons and finished it after. The chapters on Einstein and the explanations of the two theories of relativity (special and general) and how they supercede Newtonian physics are fascinating - I was reading it in conjunction with "how the hippies saved physics" which is definitely more technical - asking you to understand Bell's theorem , but both books totally spill over into my latest reading, How to change your mind (the history of psychedelics), because of being linked to consciousness... in fact I took the detour into: Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind by Amanda Harris (because it was and is 99p on Kindle), she's a panpsychist pretty much (panpsychists believe all matter is "conscious" - and to be honest they're quite compelling), the book was good but way too short and not detailed enough. Some tantalising questions were raised, like are plants conscious - which pretty much seems to be yes they are, but the book swerved away from answering them fully, instead it was introduced as "window dressing" to answer the premise "define consciousness". But yeah all this started because of the KLF book and why they burned a million pounds, my choice holiday read when turning 50... and here I am questioning the nature of reality.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
The Fetch Everyone Book Group

April 2024 book

Welcome to Season Seven

April 2024 (Maclennane)
Independence Day (Richard Ford)
Amazon: amazon.co.uk
Hive: hive.co.uk
Bookshop.org: uk.bookshop.org
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/independence-day-by-richard-ford---april-2024-book-group-choice-63006
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11269

March 2024 (Chrisull)
The High House (Jessie Greengrass)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-high-house-by-jessie-greengrass---march-2024-fetch-book-group-discussion-thread-62965
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11192

February 2024 (Linds)
Severance (Ling Ma)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/severance-by-ling-ma---feb-2024-book-group-discussion-thread-62917
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11165

January 2024 (Night-owl)
The Rabbit Factor (Antti Tuomainen (Author), David Hackston (Translator))
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-rabbit-factor---jan-2024-book-group-discussion-62892
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11119

December 2023 (Serendippers)
The Indisputable Existence of Santa Claus (Hannah Fry and Thomas Oleron Evans)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-indisputable-existence-of-santa-claus---december-2023-book-group-discussion-thread-62852
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=11004

November 2023 (Columba)
Watling Street (John Higgs)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/watling-street---nov-2023-book-group-dicussion-thread-62830
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=10925

October 2023 (Little Nemo)
Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Toshikazu Kawaguchi trans. Geoffrey Trousselot)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/before-the-coffee-gets-cold---book-group---oct-2023-discussion-thread-62811
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=10860

The last two months of Season Six:

September 2023 (westmoors)
Rabbit, Run (John Updike)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/rabbit-run-by-john-updike---book-group-sept-2023-discussion-thread-62786
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=10848

August 2023 (Serendipps)
Queenie (Candice Carty-Williams)
Discussion: fetcheveryone.com/forum/queenie-by-candice-carty-williams---august-2023-book-group-discussion-thread-62766
Poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=10808

Currently Choosinating

Not yet chozzed:
Grepples
Hanneke
Fetch
The Scribbler
Bint
Dio
Quimby
McGoohan
Westmoors

Already chozzed:
Little Nemo
Columba
Serendippers
Night-owl
Linds
Chrisull
Maclennane

Earlier book choices and discussion threads
All previous runners and riders can be found on this thread here: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=58751

===

Fetch's Positronic My Book Listing Device!: fetcheveryone.com/mybooks.php

===

Discussion thread for all those unofficial but almost official books we discuss on the thread:
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=59469

===

The Book Group motto: If you never take a chance with your reading you'll never read anything new or great

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 112,274 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here