Book Group - Sept 2014 - The Humans -Discussion thread

33 watchers
Oct 2014
7:53pm, 5 Oct 2014
5,274 posts
  •  
Columba
My copy of The Humans will be going to Oxfam tomorrow. Shan't want to re-read it.
Oct 2014
9:59pm, 7 Oct 2014
7,533 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I had a further thought about The Humans today, specifically the moment when he tells Isobel that he has had sex with Maggie. I think that he tells her because he has learnt the importance of being.open and honest.in a.relationship. However, he has not yet learnt that you can be too honest, or to direct at least.
Oct 2014
12:11am, 8 Oct 2014
12,758 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I think that highlights why my opinion of the book has gone down a little, post-read. It's made up of small well-observed bits like that, that work well in isolation but don't all go so well together in making a coherent book. Hence we get logical inconsistencies between the cracks.
.B.
Oct 2014
6:01pm, 8 Oct 2014
12,575 posts
  •  
.B.
Just finaihed. Going to go back and see what everyone else thought. I found that list he wrote for Gulliver interminable, I kept turning the pages (on my ipad) hoping to see the end, it felt like it was written by someone who had read every self-help book in the shop but didn't have any novel insights of his own .. I'm a sucker for a happy ending and glad I bothered to reach the end, but I didn't think it was well written or a great story .. might need to vote again, can't remember what score I gave it at the start
Oct 2014
6:03pm, 8 Oct 2014
12,762 posts
  •  
McGoohan
The polls now highlight the score you gave (with a pin)
.B.
Oct 2014
6:42pm, 8 Oct 2014
12,576 posts
  •  
.B.
I like the pin! I had given it a 4 which is about right.
I've read back 15 pages..
I admit to being impressed by those who noticed scientific or mathematical inconsistencies - I didn't, he's have had to say that 88 was a prime number or something equally obvious for me to notice, so those didn't irk me. There were parts of the story (even if you accept the alien on earth thing) that didn't hang together for me. I couldn't accept how long it ook for him to realise the need to wear clothes. I wondered how Ari was killed and if the homeless guy (Winston C) saw Andrew in the road why ddin't anyone else and wasn't there a police investigation? Even if he apparently died of natural causes wouldn't it be suspicious that Andrew's two friends had both died and he was present both times? The things that kept me reading were the developing family relationships and the dog of course and I might have thought it was an ok easy read until he blurted out about having sex with Maggie, he would not have done that in my view.

I like the sentiment the auor is trying to convey, I just think it has been done so much better and in fact he could have wrotten an article about the human condition and skipped all te alien nonsense altogether
.B.
Oct 2014
6:42pm, 8 Oct 2014
12,577 posts
  •  
.B.
After writing that I'm thinking a 3! :-)
.B.
Oct 2014
6:43pm, 8 Oct 2014
12,578 posts
  •  
.B.
.B.
Oct 2014
6:43pm, 8 Oct 2014
12,579 posts
  •  
.B.
.B.
Oct 2014
6:44pm, 8 Oct 2014
12,580 posts
  •  
.B.
oops wifi had a funny 5 minutes!

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Here you are - I've set up a separate discussion thread for t'Humans by Matt Haig, September's bo...