Book Group - Apr 2015 Beloved Discussion Thread

5 watchers
May 2015
3:57pm, 14 May 2015
5,236 posts
  •  
Little Nemo - this kitten can
The original one was lost so I've started a new one.

*** Do not read on if you haven't already read Beloved by Toni Morrison ***

Spoilers ahead! :-)
May 2015
7:31pm, 14 May 2015
15,724 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Well done - it's in 'Friday' ;-)
May 2015
4:01pm, 23 May 2015
5,308 posts
  •  
LindsD
Am I the only one here?

I finished this last night. I really enjoyed it and I didn't intend to. I loved the 'magical realism' aspect of it and I found the way that emotions and experiences were conveyed very affecting (and shocking).

The bit near the end with the stream of consciousness stuff was a bit hard to understand (where we are, I think, experiencing what Beloved experienced when she was 'dead') but I think I put it together in the end.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think.
May 2015
4:19pm, 23 May 2015
8,569 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
My views probably say more about me and my concentration when reading, but I honestly have no idea what this book was all about. I just couldnt follow or understand a thing.

Reading for me is a relaxation and I know my mind wanders. This book seemed to need total concentration and thought to understand what was going on and I just wasnt able to do that.
May 2015
4:34pm, 23 May 2015
5,274 posts
  •  
I forgot to give my views on this so thanks for reminding me LindsD!

I also enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. It was beautifully written even though it was describing horrible events. Also I'm not the biggest fan of magical realism, I have struggled with writers like Isabel Allende in the past. But it works for this book and I like her writing style. It was confusing at first keeping track of the different times and characters but it all came together in the end. I will probably try another one of her books but I will wait a while in case they''re as sad as this one.

I thought the stream of consciousness of Beloved was a memory of a previous life where she was being transported as a slave.
May 2015
4:45pm, 23 May 2015
5,275 posts
  •  
PS. There isn't a poll for this one but if there was I would've given it an 8.
May 2015
5:47pm, 23 May 2015
5,310 posts
  •  
LindsD
Oh I think I would have given it a 9.

Agree about the slave ship.

(Of course I meant to say "expect to" not "intend to".)
May 2015
9:59pm, 23 May 2015
1,068 posts
  •  
DazTheSlug
I gave it 10.
I loved everything about it - I had no criticism whatsoever.
I didn't want it to end - as I got further on I read less and less at once so that I'd always have some left!
I read a lot of it out loud - partly to slow it down so as to take everthing in, and partly because a lot of the writing seemed so poetic
May 2015
2:15pm, 24 May 2015
590 posts
  •  
westmoors
I can't say I enjoyed this, but I didn't dislike it either. I guess the fact I don't believe in ghosts and/or reincarnations didn't help.
May 2015
3:46pm, 24 May 2015
5,318 posts
  •  
LindsD
I don't either, but I still enjoyed it. I don't need to believe in something to enjoy reading about it, it seems. I've never thought about it before.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Little Nemo
The original one was lost so I've started a new one.

*** Do not read on if you haven't already ...