Book Group - 84 Charing Cross Road - discussion thread

6 watchers
Aug 2017
10:06pm, 2 Aug 2017
30,348 posts
  •  
McGoohan
If you didn't like 84CXR you would have *hated* TDoBS. Had you got to p95...
Aug 2017
9:10am, 3 Aug 2017
7,740 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I haven't read the DoBS even though it's the 2nd half of the copy I got.

I agree that this was a slight book but I loved what there was of it. It's possible that because I saw the film first (which is brilliant btw) it's coloured my view and given it a bit more substance than is actually there. I hadn't realised it would span such a long period of time and there are some big gaps between letters. I know it's a bit of a cliche but it was a great snapshot of post-war life. What I found most reassuring was people apologising for being late replying to letters, I thought that was just something I did!

I gave this book an 8.
Aug 2017
10:02pm, 3 Aug 2017
18,626 posts
  •  
LindsD
I haven't read back because I'm only on page 38. I've read it before and I thought I remembered finding it annoying and I'm finding it annoying this time. Grrr....
Aug 2017
10:07pm, 3 Aug 2017
94,677 posts
  •  
GregP
To:
Dr LindsD
The Book Group Wire
Thread 56655
Fetchland

Mr GreP Gepper
The Hotel Bastardos Tri Club
c/o TriSport Fetch: the smell of 220
Thread 14192
Fetchland

My dearest Fetchie,

It's not just me then? That's a relief.

Yours aye,
GreP Gepper.
Aug 2017
10:09pm, 3 Aug 2017
18,627 posts
  •  
LindsD
:)
Aug 2017
9:30pm, 5 Aug 2017
18,653 posts
  •  
LindsD
Finished 84CXR and nearly finished TDoBS. I really disliked Helene herself, which meant I hated both. Bizarrely, I preferred TDoBS, which is not to say I liked it. I did like her description of the diners at The Hilton though (July 4th).

Felt like she got paid for publishing stuff that I wouldn't even show my friends. Grrr.... Slight, indeed.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
This be the place to discuss Helene Hanff's 84 Charing Cross Road, what done be July 2017'...