Boeing to cut 4,500 jobs

1 watcher
Mar 2016
1:39pm, 30 Mar 2016
6,434 posts
  •  
lammo
bbc.co.uk

Apparently they have a backlog of orders that will take 7 years to clear.

"Airlines are reluctant to order aircraft that they won't see for a number of years" is the reason for a recent drop in orders.

Surely this is a short sighted move that will only lead to a further decrease in orders, won't it?

Or are they protected because they are one of only two large commercial aircraft manufacturers, so airlines will always want a mix of planes?

Any thoughts?
Mar 2016
1:40pm, 30 Mar 2016
9,226 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
I read they were doing 4,000 now and 4,000 later.
Mar 2016
1:58pm, 30 Mar 2016
88 posts
  •  
PeteFastFeet
I suspect the lower oil price has meant the airlines aren't in such a rush to replace older, less fuel efficient aircraft, and so have cancelled orders. Boeing needs to save money and so is exploiting this by reducing the production rates.
Mar 2016
2:09pm, 30 Mar 2016
1,683 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I suppose it may depend upon how easily replaceable they see the roles they're cutting are. If they think they can easily reacquire tthe expertise when required then they see it as a worthwhile trade-off. It's difficult to make that assessment without knowing where the cuts would fall.
Mar 2016
2:56pm, 30 Mar 2016
5,673 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Airbus have the better products arguably at present particularly short haul and it makes sense for an airline to have a fleet predominantly from same manufacturer from s crewing and maintenance perspective

And yes the oil price drop has made the appeal of the 787-8 etc less

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by lammo
bbc.co.uk

Apparently they have a backlog of orders that will ta...