Body Helix

2 watchers
Nov 2013
9:50pm, 26 Nov 2013
82 posts
  •  
RunningRach
Has anyone had any experience with these?

bodyhelix.co.uk

I am curious. Have got ongoing knee issues, getting much better with strength work but relapses sometimes. Taping helped me get through marathon training, but have never tried a support. Mostly because I had trouble finding one to fit!
Nov 2013
10:04pm, 26 Nov 2013
1,163 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
One of the runners at club uses them... She swears by them
Nov 2013
10:04pm, 26 Nov 2013
7,571 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
No, I havent. Some of the sportspeople giving testimonials are a bit random. Andy Goram ??
Nov 2013
10:42pm, 26 Nov 2013
16,948 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I would be surprised if it functioned significantly differently to this:http://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom.com_Jumper_s_Knee_Strap/3112/38357.html
But obviously Andy Goram's endorsement of the helix has added to the cost somewhat.
Nov 2013
9:26pm, 27 Nov 2013
83 posts
  •  
RunningRach
I had to google Andy Goram. :/

Tara I don't suppose you happen to know which one she uses do you?

Johnny have you used the other kind of knee strap?
Nov 2013
9:36pm, 27 Nov 2013
16,951 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Yep, works fine for a bit of patellar dysfunction/anterior knee pain. Everyone is different though so it may not work for you. My pain is related to increasing the miles too quickly after coming back from injury. I reckon it will settle as I get stronger again. I only use the strap on 'hard sessions'.

I am just sceptical of these things, lots of unsupported claims glossed over by some celebrity endorsements, much like kinesiology tape and Trionz bracelets
Nov 2013
9:46pm, 27 Nov 2013
84 posts
  •  
RunningRach
Hmm, sounds similar to my problem....I am too impatient and when I increase the miles/pace I relapse. The strength work is definitely helping (slooooowly). Sometimes I just feel I need a little help!

I am seeing physio tomorrow for sports massage so I will ask his advice. Never thought about a strap, tried a full (stretchy) knee support for about 5 mins once but it didn't stay put at the top and other ones always look too bulky. I know what you mean about being sceptical...the Helix look very shiny and expensive.
Nov 2013
9:55pm, 27 Nov 2013
16,953 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I have a few straps, one for ITB, a little jumpers strap and one Cho-Pat (which is amazing, but bulky, and does the job of both of the others at once and is probably a bit better for patellar dysfunction.
ITB straps need to be reasonably tight, jumpers straps less so.
As long as you aren't relying on them long term (by addressing the underlying problem, which it sounds like you are doing) then I don't see a problem with them.
Nov 2013
2:47pm, 28 Nov 2013
85 posts
  •  
RunningRach
Despite an array of straps and supports for sale....my physio wouldn't sell me one today! I am making progress with my strength and stretching and he doesn't think I need one. Just have to patient and continue doing what I am doing!

that is £4.99 - £35.99 saved! :)
Nov 2013
2:50pm, 28 Nov 2013
49,423 posts
  •  
Puddington
I thought it was part of the ear. I was going to get mine pierced.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Has anyone had any experience with these?

http://www.bodyhelix.co.uk/SearchResults.asp?Search=Pa...