Bob Graham Round

1 lurker | 128 watchers
May 2021
10:24am, 26 May 2021
5,157 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
btw - I assume that you've all seen the video of John Kelly at the end of his recent Pennine Way record. I've never really seen anyone look like that at the end of an event before. We've all seen people collapse or completely breakdown. I've seen people bounce around with the adrenalin but his state was something new to me. To me he appears to be able to take himself somewhere else completely. He looked hollow, broken but obviously still able to move very quickly. I was astonished by his seeming inability to even interact with his family. Incredible.
May 2021
10:55am, 26 May 2021
2,759 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
WW a friend of mine who is himself a very good ultra runner watched JK go through Hebden Bridge and made a similar comment. JK looked totally gone at that point but was still travelling along at a good pace and my friend commented that it was like he had completely detached himself in a way he had never observed before.
May 2021
11:05am, 26 May 2021
4,504 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Ginger Runner (aka Ethan Newberry) did an interview with JK a couple of days ago, quite s good watch, but was a bit disappointed with the questions, a few things I'd have liked to know that weren't touched on.
m.youtube.com
May 2021
11:18am, 26 May 2021
50,283 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
These people who can do say a double BG, or not just run but race the Pennine Way or a full set of Wainwrights, are really something special. They appear to operate differently to mere mortals who are hamstrung by problems like physical exhaustion, blisters, sleep deprivation etc. They are not only gifted physically but also apparently on another plane ‘spiritually’
May 2021
11:24am, 26 May 2021
5,158 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I'd love to test whether I could join you crazy guys Tup but I'm afraid my ankles are just not up to it and I'll have to stick to roads / gentle trails.

I'm just back having had to have 3 weeks off having twisted my ankle jogging down the mighty Thorpe Cloud in Derbyshire!!
May 2021
11:26am, 26 May 2021
7,681 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
A friend of mine was running with Damian across the Richmondshire section - 31 miles at an average of 11.13 minute/mile pace. That's pretty impressive given the conditions.
May 2021
11:31am, 26 May 2021
50,284 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
It is NE considering he’d run over to Richmondshire from the West coast beforehand

WW I’m currently laid up with sciatica triggered I think by wheelbarrowing stone in the garden followed by a five mile road run slower than you probably do your recovery sessions. I’m very much in with the mortals
May 2021
2:25pm, 26 May 2021
23,028 posts
  •  
Dave A
It looks like he’s taken a good chunk out of the last leg, about 30 mins gained.
May 2021
7:11pm, 26 May 2021
23,029 posts
  •  
Dave A
The trophy is catching him.
May 2021
7:21pm, 26 May 2021
4,505 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Yep, not worked out if Damo is slowing, or If MH had sped up, but that 20km gap from earlier is down to about 5-6km 😮

About This Thread

Maintained by Dave A