Bloody taste in back of throat

1 watcher
Sep 2012
8:40pm, 18 Sep 2012
245 posts
  •  
Action Jen
I get for a period of time and while I am running and then it will disappear again - a bloody, metallic taste at the back of my throat/nose that really does make me think there is blood back there (but there isn't).

Has anyone else had this when they run? I dare not google it for fear that I will diagnose myself with a brain tumour or something else stupid!

It is most disconcerting, rather than anything else, and it does rather put me off my stride. I am asthmatic, but I don't think the two are connected.

Any thoughts?
Sep 2012
6:48am, 20 Sep 2012
246 posts
  •  
Action Jen
anyone got any thoughts? *bump*
Sep 2012
7:38am, 20 Sep 2012
421 posts
  •  
Gogsy!
I can remember being told - a long time ago - that it was adrenaline you can taste. I only ever got it after sprinting or circuit training etc. (I don't remember when or who - so not a very reliable reference, I'm afraid.)

All I know is that I haven't tasted it for a while which suggests that I haven't been working hard enough on my training recently. :-)
Sep 2012
9:25am, 20 Sep 2012
21,104 posts
  •  
cabletow
Catarrh can have a metallic taste - And you may be making that as you run - common
Dental problems can taste metallicky - Common
Not drinking enough can leave you with a metallic taste - less common unless you run long in hot places
Drugs can make you have a metallic taste - Are you taking any meds or otherwise - rarer
Red wine in the morning can taste metallic (although to me it tastes more like gorilla pooh but that is another story) - Could it be that? - rare
Chroninc anaemia can happen when you train and that can change your taste - is this a possibility - rare I suspect

There are many reasons - But remember common things happen commonly and it is unlikely that a metallic taste in your mouth indicates serious disease.
Sep 2012
6:20pm, 20 Sep 2012
247 posts
  •  
Action Jen
Ah -

I can rule out dental problems, red wine, anemia and not drinking enough. however catarrh and meds could be. I have just changed my medication and I am a bit allergy-y at the moment.

THanks Cablewow, I will stop running

Gogsy, I very much doubt it is adrenaline, it was a really short and crappy run last night!!

thanks!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I get for a period of time and while I am running and then it will disappear again - a bloody, meta...