Blood sugar question for the docs

1 watcher
MH
Jun 2014
8:55am, 11 Jun 2014
234 posts
  •  
MH
Following a number of weeks, possibly months where I've been experiencing (for me) periods of feeling particularly lethargic and under the weather, putting it down to work stress and needing a holiday - my OH suggested I test my blood sugar. Mainly to keep him happy, I tested it this morning having had nothing to eat since dinner last night - it was 7.4

Should I take myself straight off to the docs or is it worth waiting a few weeks to see if it just 'settles down'?
(if you are wondering why we have a glucose monitor - we used to have a diabetic cat, and you use the same equipment - it's a Bayer Ascensia Breeze II)
Jun 2014
9:11am, 11 Jun 2014
17,619 posts
  •  
HellsBells
a single result is not diagnostic, but that is a raised level for a fasted sample
how long have you had the test strips, as they may no longer be reliable
it would be worth getting an appt
Jun 2014
9:24am, 11 Jun 2014
29,888 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
A blood sugar of 7.4 isn't likely to be an explanation for why you're not feeling well (it's most unlikely to cause any symptoms at all) - it's far more likely that you DO need a holiday.

It would be worth seeing your doctor, who will probably arrange a proper blood glucose test and a number of other blood tests to check for other possible physical causes for your tiredness.
MH
Jun 2014
9:29am, 11 Jun 2014
235 posts
  •  
MH
that it a good point Hells Bells - they are still in date, but the last two sealed strips in a disc that hasn't been used since last year.
MH
Jun 2014
10:00am, 11 Jun 2014
236 posts
  •  
MH
and thank you both, btw
Jun 2014
10:25am, 11 Jun 2014
10,668 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
a few years ago I was feeling lethargic and struggling with energy levels...a blood test showed I was anaemic and in need for iron tablets. A few months of iron and I was back on top form again...definitely get a blood test from your GP, as V says.."It would be worth seeing your doctor, who will probably arrange a proper blood glucose test and a number of other blood tests to check for other possible physical causes for your tiredness."

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by MH
Following a number of weeks, possibly months where I've been experiencing (for me) periods of feeli...