Blood Pressure Meds?

4 watchers
Feb 2019
12:13pm, 18 Feb 2019
190 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
Does anyone on here have any experience of running whilst taking blood pressure meds? I've just started on a low dose of Ramipril and was wondering what I can expect in relation to the affect of the meds on my running.
Feb 2019
1:07pm, 18 Feb 2019
515 posts
  •  
Gogsy!
I didn't have a good experience with a low dose of Ramipril. (BP was sorted out but it gave me a cough & I had to come off it.)

Almost as soon as I started taking Ramipril, my normal runs felt like a real struggle, but that's probably only because I had an issue with the medication & is not the norm.
Feb 2019
1:43pm, 18 Feb 2019
273 posts
  •  
The Belly Is Gaun Tae Get Ye
I have definitely slowed down and runs do feel harder since taking Ramipril . However that may just be the extra timber I am carrying and the serious decline in training for the past three years and ageing.
Feb 2019
1:45pm, 18 Feb 2019
4,365 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
I was on BP meds before I started running but OH just started on them last year. He did a half just a week or so in, ran a good race but had the most painful leg cramp and spasms after. Not usually bothered with this and he had hydrated well, so can only presume it was just his body not used to the meds as he did a marathon later on in the year and was fine.
Feb 2019
1:46pm, 18 Feb 2019
4,507 posts
  •  
minardi
I take Amlodipine for BP and I'm still as slow and sluggish as I ever was - I don't think it's made any noticeable difference one way or the other.
Feb 2019
1:53pm, 18 Feb 2019
516 posts
  •  
Gogsy!
I should add that I take 5mg of Amlopdipine daily & don't have any noticeable side-effects, running or otherwise.
Feb 2019
3:12pm, 18 Feb 2019
25,748 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I started on Amlodipine but the cough was infuriating so changed to Losartan. I've been taking them for about six years. Sometimes I run well, other times, not so. The BP meds don't seem to have had any noticeable effect on my running.
Feb 2019
6:33pm, 18 Feb 2019
3,816 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I take Nifedipine daily and have no problems, running or otherwise.
Feb 2019
7:12pm, 18 Feb 2019
34,422 posts
  •  
Diogenes
That reminds me, I didn’t take my tablet this morning. 8mg perindopril, can’t say I’ve ever noticed any effect on my running.
Feb 2019
9:33pm, 19 Feb 2019
4,411 posts
  •  
Corrah
I am on 2.5mg Ramipril. Didn't even give a thought to the fact it could have an effect on my running. I am carrying more weight than I should be at the moment bit working to get this off. Have been struggling but don't know if it is the weight or BP meds.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Does anyone on here have any experience of running whilst taking blood pressure meds? I've just...