Blister-prone -> shoes advice

1 watcher
May 2013
3:10pm, 23 May 2013
14,347 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm still struggling with a long-standing blister issue. If I run slower than 8.45 minutes per mile, I can run a whole LSR without issue.
If I run faster than 8.45, then so far, regardless of shoes, I get a blister on my fourth toe on my right foot. I have a number of different pairs of shoes, and I train and race in the same ones.

I've tried Vaseline - the problem seems to be one of percussion rather than friction.

I've tried toe socks, but they actually made it worse.

So I'm going to look again at shoes. I figure that the issue might be exascerbated by my feet swelling, so I need to find a show which allows my toes to flay a little bit more.

Currently this year I've run marathons in Nike Triax, Brooks Vapor and Brooks ST5. I have a pair of Saucony Guide but because they were £29.99 I'm reluctant to put too much heavy mileage into them.

Has anyone found a change of shoes helped them with toe blisters? I think something wider might do it.

Any ideas?
May 2013
3:16pm, 23 May 2013
3,311 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I don't do the mileage you do, but my Guide 4's have seen some decent miles and are not giving me any blister issues. Haven't really tested my Vapor's at distance so can't help there.
May 2013
8:10pm, 23 May 2013
16,300 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I am relatively blister proof anyway, but I find the compressport socks good. I don't think compression does anyting, but these things are tight, and dont move on your foot at all, any rubbing is then between the sock and the shoe.
May 2013
10:01pm, 23 May 2013
14,349 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Compression? Go tighter? Do you think that will work?
May 2013
10:04pm, 23 May 2013
18,573 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
You could be 'grabbing' with your toes when you run faster - that would do it!
May 2013
10:41pm, 23 May 2013
14,352 posts
  •  
DeeGee
That's a good theory then, LB. So tighter compression socks are the way forward. I'd rather try different socks and have to bin them than get yet another pair of shoes which I won't know work until I've run 100 miles in them. And the missus will be happier, seeing as I have more shoes than her.
May 2013
10:49pm, 23 May 2013
18,574 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Have a look at the insole of one of your older pairs of shoes. The giveaway is a set of clearly worn areas where you toes are.
Some people curl their toes downwards when they run faster without realising they are doing it.
It creates both pressure *and* friction on the ends of the toes.

If that's the case then the cure isn't tighter socks but relaxing the clawing action.

It's one of those things that once you know you're doing it you can stop - but many people don't realise in the first place!
May 2013
11:36pm, 23 May 2013
14,353 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Cheers LB. I'll have a look tomorrow...
Jun 2013
7:27pm, 2 Jun 2013
33 posts
  •  
Butterflies
Try some twin skin socks. Sports direct do some for somewhere around £3.99. I find them better than the Hilly ones which are a whole lot more expensive!
Jun 2013
8:21pm, 2 Jun 2013
14,395 posts
  •  
DeeGee
You know what? I'm unblistered after a raced marathon in the Vapors yesterday. Didn't do anything different. I don't get it!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
I'm still struggling with a long-standing blister issue. If I run slower than 8.45 minutes per mile...