Bit of advice on tapering for Sunday's half please

1 watcher
Sep 2013
2:53pm, 23 Sep 2013
3,820 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Hello :-)

I have the Barnes Green Half on Sunday. Only my second half and I haven't really tapered before (my first half I was injured leading up to it, so basically took the week before the race off, and for 10k's and 10 mile races I tend to just shorten my weekly runs slightly), I went for a 10 miler yesterday, and ran the full distance a week ago. My club has an intervals session tomorrow night, and a 7-9km run on Thursday. Was thinking of skipping the intervals and just going on a more leisurely 10km, then the club run Thursday, and that's it?
Sep 2013
2:56pm, 23 Sep 2013
27,320 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That sounds like plenty of running for a taper week. You need to do just enough running to give yourself the confidence to believe that you can still run.
Sep 2013
2:57pm, 23 Sep 2013
813 posts
  •  
Butterflies
Sounds like a plan. :-)
Sep 2013
2:58pm, 23 Sep 2013
23,899 posts
  •  
Old Croc
do the intervals but only give it 75%, maybe miss a few reps out? Same as the LSR on Thurs - ease off, even a short cut or two
Sep 2013
3:10pm, 23 Sep 2013
3,821 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
The intervals move across the forest we do them in, so it would be hard to miss some out, so I'm thinking to skip those just to minimise the risk of properly legging it and then injuring myself. Was just wondering if the 10km and the 7-9km would be enough, but by the sounds of it they will be.
Sep 2013
3:28pm, 23 Sep 2013
23,901 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Are there others at club doing same race? If so do your own mini session?
Sep 2013
3:33pm, 23 Sep 2013
3,822 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Unfortunately not. Which is weird as I am sure that at least two of them told me to sign up as they were doing it :-)
Sep 2013
3:35pm, 23 Sep 2013
255 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
Maintain your usual intensity but cut down on the volume.

Personally, I like to do a decent session on the Tuesday, then 10 x 200m (or time equivalent) two days before the race (usually Friday). Obviously whether that's appropriate for you will depend on what you usually do in a week. But just jogging about might leave you feeling sluggish on Sunday.
Sep 2013
9:38am, 24 Sep 2013
2,659 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
The week before my recent Half I skipped my club session as I knew it would be too tough, but did a short interval session of my own - about 20 minutes - minute fast & 45 seconds recovery about 10 times. That was Tuesday, then on Wednesday and Thursday it was 3 miles each day, one faster and one easy paced. I think Thursday was the faster one - roughly at race pace.
Sep 2013
9:39am, 24 Sep 2013
3,823 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Interesting, was just thinking earlier that I could go for a 5k loop where I live tonight, but treat it as an interval session mid-way. Might well be what I do then!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
Hello :-)

I have the Barnes Green Half on Sunday. Only my second half and I haven't really taper...